Interesting curves...

See 2nd graph on page 4 (efficiency vs power)

Thanks,
Fred.
Reply to
Fred Bartoli

How annoying. No Idss spec, no DC curves. RF people are like that: just fiddle with the bias until it works.

Since the abs max range of gate voltage is -8 to -2, it's presumably destroyed in shipping. Unless they ship it with a battery attached.

Abs max supply voltage is 48, but leakage is tested at 175.

The forward transconductance spec is clearly wrong.

Pitiful. We use phemts in pulsed time-domain applications, and usually have to test them ourselves to get basic specs. Even the manufacturers often don't know basic stuff about their parts. A Spice model, or even basic DC curves, is rare for RF parts.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Well, it is clear why. However the one who prepares datasheet doesn't seem to have a clue.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Which is another job idea: offer to proof-read peoples's data sheets. That would be the ideal job for some older guy who knows everything about everything.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

.

John Larkin furthers his claim to be our most out-of-touch-with- reality poster.

I've never made any claim to be particularly expert with RF parts. I've certainly used wide-band transistors at frequencies close to

1GHz, but strictly as wide-band amplifiers, and I'm aware that there are lots of fun aspects to their narrower-band use where I know very little - possibly even less than John Larkin.
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Don't feel bad, the other day I discovered that we have a tube of power mosfets 18 amps, 500V out of a batch we order with a different date code on them that does not pass the 500V break down test, they're good for only ~250v before they start to break down. These were purchased all at the same time but this particular tube seems to be older stock.

Not only that, I notice the package, although the same type, looks like they were made else where on the planet, they don't seem to have the same exact mold shape. I wonder if I got rebranded or defective parts?

It's not a bug deal, we just put those assigned with a note on them, they now are test fets, but these fets are not cheap and it's a good thing I didn't pay for them..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I keep making great suggestions about fun and useful things that geezers could do, and geezers pop up and tell me what they don't know and can't do.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Vladimir Vassilevsky a écrit :

I meant the small hook at the curves upper right extremity.

I'd be curious to know what so obvious about these...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

On the previous plot, they have output power vs input power. The output power decreases after passing maximum due to overexitation. They just put sequential numbers of the output power from that plot into drain efficiency calculation. So, after maximum reaching maximum power, the graph makes a hook.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Something wrong . . look carefully at the last graph on page 4. One cannot have _two_ efficiencies at a given output power.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Something wrong . . look carefully at the last graph on page 4. One cannot have _two_ efficiencies at a given output power.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Maybe counterfeit parts..a lot of that going on.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Maybe they were shot down by those big companies that need expertise. HR takes one look at them and instantly determine they are 40 or older and kick them out as being "overqualified". The companies would rather hire two greenies fresh out of college and $$pend even more money in training for a year or so to get them to be useful..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Absurd. It's just the opposite, in fact. Recent grads are living in mommy's basement, playing the XBox.

Reply to
krw

--
JF
Reply to

0...

It's the contrast between ill-informed fantasies and objective reality. The US electorate seems to have preferred the latter.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It doesn't pay.

A typo in the hand is worth two proofs in the bush.

RL

Reply to
legg

Sure you can. There's nothing inherent in the idea of an amplifier that prevents the output power from going down as you increase the input power, past a certain point. All you need is a bias shift.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Can't blame the spreadsheet software.....

Actually, Excel used efficiency as the dependant coordinate for drawing the line connection sequence. Efficiency should drop with over-exitation, if input drive power is included in total power consumed.

There are valid bistable graphical plots, but this isn't one.

RL

Reply to
legg

You'd make a perfect politician, never getting the facts right and always twisting the truth, if you really knew what the truth was.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie