Interesting audio circuit...

No, Bill, it is a ratio detector as Jan pointed out. A *phase* detector.

John

Reply to
John KD5YI

See nothing about FM; the closest maybe is phase modulation.

Reply to
Robert Baer

** See the words " FM modulator " ??

You must be totally blind.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** That is EXCELLENT !!

Thanks a lot.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Jan Panteltje"

** Looks like that is just how it works.

Varying the ratio detector tuning with the mic capsule appears to give better s/n ratio than any simple FM scheme - while the NFB loop makes the whole thing far more linear at high SPLs.

Axolotyl posted a link to the patent which has lotsa detail.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** Some facts are now clear:

** Along with L1 and L2, they form a "ratio detector" or FM discriminator.
** The tuning point of the ratio detector changes - not incoming the RF frequency.
** Simple audio frequency equalisation for natural roll offs at the ends of the audio band inherent in the capsule design.
** That's how a ratio detector works.

** Sennheiser * never * made conventional ( ie charged plate ) condenser mics at all.

With the arrival of low noise Silicon transistors in the early 1960s, they developed an RF circuit that enabled a condenser mic's capsule to operate without the need for high voltages or vacuum tubes. Other makers simply adapted their existing vacuum tube condenser mic designs to use low noise FETs - when they arrived later in the 60s.

Sennheiser are still the only known maker of RF condenser mics - and rightly claim them to be in a class of their own for their combination of immunity from weather conditions, near perfect polar and frequency response curves and very low self noise.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On a sunny day (Mon, 16 May 2011 11:21:00 +1000) it happened "Phil Allison" wrote in :

You really need help with your head.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 16 May 2011 13:20:53 +1000) it happened "Phil Allison" wrote in :

I am glad you got it now, sorry if I was rude.

Yea, well, I was wondering if anybody could get away with patenting negative feedback.. Looks like they can.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"Jan Panteltje"

** I have already taken back the above remark.

Get over it.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison