Intelligent Design

Walls sausages perhaps ?

We had an old-fashioned 'sausage maker' here in St A ( sadly no more ) who mainly dealt in 'game' but made the most fabulous sausages and had the prizes from shows to prove it.

It's sad that those kind of small businesses are no more. I should be ashamed that I stopped using them too I guess ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Little Genomes ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Flatulence is universal - otherwise ultrasound would be a really handy way of looking at the digestive system.

Aflatoxin is intermittent and localsed - though it does look as if there has been a persistent aflatoxin bloom in the White House canteen for the past few years.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

"Eeyore" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

Must be the cereal they replaced all the meat with!!!

Reply to
ian field

My flatulence is ultra loud - does that count?

Does aflatoxin cause insanity or imbecilism?!

Reply to
ian field

According to wikipedia, neither

"Pathology High-level aflatoxin exposure produces an acute necrosis, cirrhosis, and carcinoma of the liver exhibited by hemorrhage, acute liver damage, edema, alteration in digestion, and absorption and/or metabolism of nutrients.

No animal species is immune to the acute toxic effects of aflatoxins including humans; however, humans have an extraordinarily high tolerance for aflatoxin exposure and rarely succumb to acute aflatoxicosis.

Chronic, subclinical exposure does not lead to as dramatic of symptoms as acute aflatoxicosis. Children, however, are particularly affected by aflatoxin exposure which leads to stunted growth and delayed development. Chronic exposure also leads to a high risk of developing liver cancer, as the metabolite Aflatoxin M1 can intercalate into DNA and alkylate the bases through its epoxide moiety."

I got it wrong - I was thinking of ergot, which is another product of fungal infestation and does produce insanity, amongst othe symptoms.

"Effects on humans and animals - Ergotism Main article: Ergotism Ergot contains alkaloids of the ergoline group, which have a wide range of activities including effects on circulation and neurotransmission. Ergotism is the name for the collection of symptoms a human or animal has when it has ingested (too much of) this fungus. Ergotism went also under the name "St. Anthony's fire" hinting at burning sensations in the limbs[3]. Another effect of ergot alkaloids is vasoconstriction, therefore ergotism may lead to gangrene and loss of the limbs due to limited blood circulation. This may also cause insanity, convulsions, or death, due to limited circulation to the brain. Other symptoms include strong uterine contractions, nausea, seizures, and unconsciousness. Monks of the order of St. Anthony the Great specialized in treating ergotism victims with balms containing tranquilizing and blood circulation-stimulating plants; they were also skilled in amputations. Entire villages have been known to suffer ergotism after the village bakery used infected grain.

In addition to ergot alkaloids, Claviceps paspali also produces tremorgens (paspalitrem) causing "paspalum staggers" in cattle.

Historically, controlled doses of ergot were used to induce abortions and to stop maternal bleeding after childbirth, but simple ergot extract is no longer used as a pharmaceutical.

Among those who studied ergot and its derivatives was Albert Hofmann, whose experiments led to the discovery of LSD, a powerfully hallucinogenic ergot derivative that affects the serotonin system. Contrary to some rumors, ergot contains no LSD, but there are links between the two substances:

LSD was first synthesised during research on the active ingredients of ergot. Lysergic acid, a raw material used in the synthesis of LSD, was and is still prepared from ergot. "

Sorry about that

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

In message , dated Sun, 27 Aug 2006, ian field writes

It gets you in the liver:

The build-up of toxins due to the dysfunctional liver can cause all sorts of effects.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

--
Hitler thought the same thing.
Reply to

--
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Hallucinogenic+fungus&btnG=Google+Search
Reply to

I've read that aflatoxin is the most carcinogenic substance known, and that botulism (or perhaps diptheria) toxin is the most poisonous. Man-made poisons and radioisotopes just can't compete in this game.

John

In message , dated Sun, 27 Aug 2006, John Fields writes

He was substantially vegetarian, so probably had no marked opinions on the cooking of pork.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Sun, 27 Aug 2006, John Larkin writes

These claims are actually hedged around with so many conditions and provisos that they are meaningless.

Krait, stonefish and blue octopus venom are leading contenders. Aflatoxin has an polyaromatic core, which is a sign of potent carcinogenicity, but I'm sure worse ones could be made.

Radioisotopes are slow poisons (unless you stand close to a large quantity). If ingested, they take a long time to have an effect.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

I see scant point in "being sorry" about testable facts.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

I was apologising for confusing aflatoxin poisoning with ergotism - the line starting "I got it wrong" might have clued you into this intepretation.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

It's because he was just a baby and didn't know any better than to let denials inscape when he and Mom had their orgasm, which we call "the big bang."

Hope This Helps! Rich

--
For more information, please feel free to visit http://www.godchannel.com
Reply to

I don't eat red meat. It turns brown when I cook it. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi