Input isolation necessary?

Hello there,

I'm seeking some advice on the following concept:

I'm designing a VRLA battery monitoring system that also requires measurement of some temperatures and some other 2-20ma current loop sensors. There are 420 batteries in a string, and there will be two physically separate data acquisition modules used to monitor a battery string. Because of the high common-mode voltage of the series connected battery cells, my measurement front-end will probably use difference amplifiers, and I'll probably partition the cells into groups of 32 or 64 (32 x 2.75 volts = 88 volts common-mode) per data acquistion card. This battery string is used to drive a large PWM electric motor, so EMI and transients are prevalent.

My primary question is, should I optically (galvanically) isolate the inputs using linear optocouplers, using the difference amp in front of the optocoupler in the servo-feedback circuit to linearize the optocoupler? Or do you think this isolation is overkill?

On another note, I would like to employ digital-to-analog converter chips that have a built-in I2C interface for the acquiring the data on the (maybe) isolated side (eg. TI DAC5574). Any comments/advice here?

Final note, I am thinking of using PC/104 CPU boards, and QNX to run the show. Any comments/advice here?

Thank you, one and all!

Vic

Reply to
schmoester

I designed a thing like this once (but never built it.) I was planning on using a bunch of solid-state relays, one per cell. Imagine one floating voltmeter and two input rails, one rail for odd relays and one for even. For the first cell, turn on SSR1-->railA and SSR2-->railB, and measure A:B. Then turn on SSR2 and SSR3, again into rails A:B, and that measures the next cell, with polarity swapped of course. Some series resistors or fuses for safety, maybe.

Cheap!

John

You can power your instruments from the battery that they are measuring and send the serial data through a simple opto coupler this will also help you with the EMI issues. I2C is hard to isolate but rs232 or similar is easy. If you use a current loop for your rs232, +20mA for mark -20ma for space, you get a very noise immune link.

Reply to
cbarn24050