pic and stamp

Most of the "stamp" products are small boards with a PIC on them, although I've seen a "Java stamp" which used a different processor. The main difference is that the "basic stamp" comes with a PIC that's preprogrammed to execute basic.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Greetings

I need some help at deciding which of those microcontrollers to start out with...

Does anyone have any webpages where I can see various projects of those who have used either the stamp or pic...

I am looking at the ease of programming... .... and has quite a bit of flexibility of both programing and input and output ports...

I can prototype, assembly components, etc... I was trained at the component level...

Larry

Reply to
larry

Larry--

Look at

for a lot of info on stamps. They also have info on SX series chips. They have lots of detailed information (in PDFs) on using these parts, including applications.

Stamps:

Pro: relatively high-level programming, fairly easy to get started.

Con: Relatively high cost, relatively low performance.

PICs and SX parts:

Pro: low cost, high(er) performance

Con: Getting the most out of these parts requires you to *think* and

*grok* things at the machine code level.

The use of either family requires that you understand hardware/software tradeoffs. When you're dealing with parts that don't have native multiply/divide, or even multi-bit shifts, you have to supply the brains! You don't have a lot of horsepower to through aw a tolution!

I tend to use stamps for prototyping, and some one-shot projects.

Anything needing performance, or volume, I use a PIC (or an SX part), but I started doing machine language programming in the 1970's... When I use these parts, I go right to machine code, bypassing any high-level languages.

--
Namaste--
Reply to

"larry" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...

What's your objective? Stamps, PIC-stamps, are populair, slow, to be programmed in Basic, expensive and easy to use. That's to say, compared to PICs. They can be considered development systems in their own right. PICs on their own are cheap, fast, programmable in (free) assembler, JAL and several commercial compilers including C and Basic, need some more skills then a stamp and require some kind of development system. Designs of the latter are available for free on the net and can be build cheap. Some commercial (often called professional) development systems are also available but they tend to be expensive. Too expensive for personal use most of the times. A good insight can be found on:

IMHO Wouter knows where he's talking about and can provide (almost) all you need to run PICs.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

On a microcontroller, not many people. I have not used it for ages (last time was a Z80 product that monitored stator temperature on each phase of huge motors). But Delphi is pretty popular on the PC platform.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"larry" escreveu na mensagem news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...

who

component

PIC program in Basic, C and Pascal

Reply to
Fernando

Just wondering who programs in Pascal?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

"martin griffith" escreveu na mensagem news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

out

Go

Fernando

Reply to
Fernando

Neither. Use an AVR and the free GCC compiler. I started with PICs, tried AVRs, and I know what I like best :)

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

make that

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------

Webshop for PICs and other electronics
Teacher electronics and informatics

Reply to
Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti.nl

I just did a library in Pascal (the 12-leds-on-4-pins trick) for a customer who wants to use Pascal.

Wouter van Ooijen

Webshop for PICs and other electronics
Teacher electronics and informatics

Reply to
Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti.nl

Ah, yes. The old "two-back-to-back-diodes-per-simplex-edge" trick, with possible resistors to each vertex.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan