Injecting a bit of chaos into your day -- Chua's circuit

Diddling with things for possible future videos. I think I can make an example of a Chua's circuit using a motor with attached pendulum for the tank -- hence the oddball component values.

Shove it into LTSpice, run it, and you should see some classical chaotic behavior. Here's a pic of the phase-plane; the axes are labeled, although you may have to squint to see them.

A shout-out to Jim Thompson for his atan(x) idea for making smooth transitions -- it certainly seems to work nicely here for the nonlinear element.

Version 4 SHEET 1 976 680 WIRE 48 96 16 96 WIRE 112 96 48 96 WIRE 176 96 112 96 WIRE 320 96 256 96 WIRE 368 96 320 96 WIRE 448 96 368 96 WIRE 16 128 16 96 WIRE 448 128 448 96 WIRE 112 144 112 96 WIRE 320 144 320 96 WIRE 16 240 16 208 WIRE 112 240 112 208 WIRE 320 240 320 208 WIRE 448 240 448 208 FLAG 16 240 0 FLAG 112 240 0 FLAG 320 240 0 FLAG 48 96 Vvel FLAG 368 96 Vctrl FLAG 448 240 0 SYMBOL cap 96 144 R0 SYMATTR InstName C1 SYMATTR Value 1600m SYMBOL cap 304 144 R0 SYMATTR InstName C2 SYMATTR Value 100m SYMBOL ind 32 112 M0 SYMATTR InstName L1 SYMATTR Value 16m SYMBOL res 272 80 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 500m SYMBOL bi2 448 128 R0 SYMATTR InstName B1 SYMATTR Value I=0.1 * (50 * atan(V(vctrl)) + V(vctrl)) TEXT -22 280 Left 2 !.tran 1000 TEXT -24 304 Left 2 !.ic V(Vvel)=16m TEXT -24 328 Left 2 !.ic I(L1)=0 TEXT -24 8 Left 2 ;An example of Chua's circuit, showing chaotic behavior.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

TANH and ATANH can do even slicker things... but, beware, some simulators, such as TopSpice don't recognize ATANH.

[snip]

...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Requires Google sign-in. Google is evil.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Fook. They didn't used to. And they're not evil -- they just want to take over the world.

At any rate, you can at least run the thing in LTSpice. I couldn't see how to make a nice phase-space graph of the trajectory in that tool, though.

I may post something later today -- I have a mind to make an animated GIF or two. Should be nifty.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

[snip]

Link worked just fine for me... no sign-in required. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

The image is just a stationary PNG file, right? I was able to see it without signing in. If it was an animation, I couldn't see that.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Not an animation -- I _may_ make an animation, _later_.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I've seen animations of similar chaotic functions and they are interesting. The local orbit appears to be very stable until, boom, it changes to the other "stable" orbit. There is one often seen chaotic function like this with two stable orbits that are at about right angles in 3-space to one another if I recall.

--

Rick C
Reply to

There's a lot of chaotic systems out there. Once people figured out they could be made they ran out and found or invented all the ones they could find.

I'm 99.44% sure that if you make an RF oscillator that squegs you've built a chaotic system -- make it squeg really strongly and it'll even be obvious from a phase-space plot.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

About a month ago I bought an Android tablet from Samsung. I put in some garbage for the gmail registration required during device config. Less tracking info for Google has to be good thing, right? By the time I got around to playing with it I'd forgotten the passcode. No problem, just do a hard reset, right?

Nothing doing. Without the gmail registration info it is bricked. Have to send it in for service.

Thinking about working on it myself, but indelicately.

ChesterW

Reply to
ChesterW

That more than any of the arguing over data and models is what worries me about the climate. We're poking a dynamic system with a stick. Hopefully our species amazing run of luck will continue to hold.

ChesterW

Reply to
ChesterW

A chaotic system does erratic things whether you poke it or not. In other words, it's always being poked.

I can radically change what would-have-been the climate 20 years from now. So can you. So can everyone. Drive a different way to work. You might start the next ice age, or prevent it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That is a complete misinterpretation of chaos. Yes, change one small thing and the weather changes. Instead of a storm on Tuesday dropping 2 inches of rain, it will be a storm on Wednesday dropping 3 inches of rain. Or the storm will pass by you and drop the rain on the county next door. But it would be extremely unlikely that you will see a tornado or other significant change in the weather.

However, *none* of this will change the climate. Just as in the chaotic system Tim shows in his diagram, you can perturb the state and see a change in the details of the flow, you *won't* change the overall shape of the graph.

What we don't know about the climate is how many great attractors there are and where they lie. We only know the one we are circling now is pretty good and we likely don't want to change. Every direction we look the changes don't look so good.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Unless it comes back up expecting you to read Chinese, you didn't reset it hard enough...

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

And yet some want to dump SO2 into the atmosphere. And windfarms don't affect the downwind climate. And Tidal generators don't affect the sea. And so on...

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

The more common state of the planet is frozen solid, kilometers deep ice covering the USA. Trying to cool things off might not be the best plan.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Is anyone seriously suggesting the tidal energy harvesters impact the sea? Is the much evidence regarding this other than very localized impacts?

--

Rick C
Reply to

I did a live chat with Samsung support. They said I'd have to send it in for repair, but that it would be under warranty since it was new.

If you have an idea to fix, I'm all ears. It's a Galaxy Tab A. Right now I'm considering whether the better repair tool would be a 3 lb sledge or .45 slugs. I wonder which would make the better video. Maybe I can recoup my $ with ad clicks.

ChesterW

Reply to
ChesterW

I'd pick too warm over too cold. An ice age might be a real challenge with no mammoths around.

If I built a circuit that behaved like the climate records, I'd think I wasn't done designing.

ChesterW

Reply to
ChesterW

e.png

Yeah, extrapolating that doesn't bode well.

My real point was that we don't even know where all the knobs are but som e people want to start turning them more or less at random in order to retu rn the planet's climate to some hypothetical ideal that existed before the industrial age, yet nobody can point to any time in history that *was* idea l, much less stayed that way for any reasonable length of time.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752