Impedance of PCB track at 433Mhz

Hi to all. How can one determine the impedance of a pcb track. The track is about 5cm long , 1.7mm wide , grounded on one end. There is no ground plane.All the searches I've done come up with microstrip calculations which don't seem to cater for this geometry. The track acts as an antenna , so I would like to know it's impedance to design a matching network. This RF stuff is not my strong point , so any pointers would be great. I hope I've given enough info for you boffins out there !!

Cheers Rob

Reply to
seegoon99

You'll have to use antenna modeling software on it. Try MMANA, it's free.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Further to my previous post, if it is a 1/4 wavelength long at 433 MHz, you could just assume that the impedance is 50 ohms.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Thanks , I'll have a look. It's not 1/4 wavelength. That would be closer to 17.3cm

Cheers Rob

Reply to
seegoon99

Hello Rob,

I assume that there is a return path (as one end is connected to ground). The impedance (in particular the real part of it) depends heavily on the return path and path of trace.

Maybe you can describe the geometry so that someone can do a ball park calculation or EM simulation.

Best regards,

Wim PA3DJS

without abc the address is correct.

Reply to
Wimpie

One side of the track is connected to gnd(ground plane) , the other side is where the "drive " would come from.

Reply to
seegoon99

I thought the antenna trace comes direct from the RF output and is open ended. On mine, there is a gound plane under the first part of the track ( curved) then it goes straight.( for 1/4 length). Works fine at 868 Mhz.

Reply to
TT_Man

What happened to "there is no ground plane"?

John

I think you need to post a picture. What it's connected to is important, of course, but what it's close to is also quite important.

5cm long to ground is going to look like an inductor, but you've also got whatever your ground return trace is, too.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

.
.

I'll second the "we need a picture," or even better, an accurately dimensioned drawing. It's not the impedance of "a PCB track," it's the impedance of an antenna which consists of a PCB trace, "ground" plane, dielectrics, and perhaps a bunch of other stuff.

Can't you just measure it? But of course, even there you'll find pitfalls: you need to make sure your connections between the antenna and the network analyzer don't add significantly to the antenna structure.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom Bruhns

re

ce

at.

rk

ys.

I don't have any equipment that can measure it. 60Mhz scope and 1G spectrum analyser. I'll try and get a picture.

Reply to
seegoon99