PCB Track width

I am working on the layout of board to control 32 LEDs using 2 16 bit LED drivers. There will be up to 25mA going through each LED, which means the ground pin of each driver will sink the current for all 16 LEDs, 400mA, and the ground connection for the whole board will sink

800mA. Can you tell me what trace width I will need to for the individual LED tracks and for the common track? I understand a solder mask will improve the current handling ability, so I plan on taking advantage of that.
--
Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
http://thewishzone.com
Reply to
Chris W

No, but try google:

Trace Width Javascript calculator:

Which is the best?

Scott

--

**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!

POLITICS, n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

There is no giant behind the devastation of the world?only a shriveled creature with the wizened face of a child who is out to blow up the kitchen because he cannot steal his cookies and eat them, too. - Ayn Rand

**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

--- Somone has that info posted on the web somewhere, and there may even be a calculator for it, but in case you can't find them, I posted a graph for you on abse under the same heading as this thread.

A solder mask _won't_ improve the current handling capability because it'll provide a thermal barrier between the trace and ambient air, which will restrict heat removal by convection, causing it to run hotter than if it was uncovered. However, it's not a good idea not to use a soldermask since it will protect the traces from solder bridges and oxidation. Besides, looking at the chart you can see that if you use 1oz copper and you specify 0.015" wide traces you can expect a temperature rise of about 10°C over ambient with about 1A going through the trace. For power traces you should use something like at least 0.06" wide traces, so that puts the temp rise down in the noise. Specify a double sided board with plated-through holes, nice wide traces, Solder Mask Over Bare Copper, (SMOBC) and 2oz copper if you're not very experienced with PCB fabrication and you expect to be doing a little rework, and you'll wind up with a nice looking board which you can take some liberties with and not beat to death if you make a mistake or two.

-- John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

First you need to find the maximum current density that the board can carry. Then find out the thickness of the copper. Then you can (trivially) calculate the required width.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

A soldermask is some plastic to cover the copper tracks such that there won't be any tin. It has no influence on the current handling capability.

for the individual LEDs I'd use 20mil tracks and for the combined perhaps a 60mil one.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

google on: "temperature pcb" in the All words field, and "track width" in the exact phrase field.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

--
That's not true. It increases the thermal resistance between the trace
and the ambient air and causes the trace to run hotter than if it were

Now do the calculation when you have peak currents of over 50 Amps such as in high power audio ! 20A rms isn't uncommon on a pcb and it's nice to know you don't need a track 20mm wide ( and what the temp rise will be ).

I have a similar guide somewhere based on a British Standard IIRC. Thankfully it's in metric ( none of that US 'square mils' nonsence ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thanks Ian, I was aware of these calculations. Why should a track be made as thin as possible to have maximum temperature rise ? From my selfetching days, I still try to avoid tracks and distances below 15mils when the space is there. Actually since doing precision analog, I calculate the microVolts lost over a few inches of tracks when passing milliAmps.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

In practice 2 oz is widely used ( 70 um ). The 20A rms is not a continuous figure thankfully with audio.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

True. That would be a case for 3 to 10 ounce copper then. Equivalent to 100 to 300um thickness.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Hi Rene:

I was sure you would know these resources, I was giving a pointer to the OP, and wanted to keep your response as the alternative engineering "this works" approach.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

and by precluding plating, it delivers a higher resistance_per_unit_length than unmasked/plated tracks.

Reply to
budgie