IGBT Cap discharge, ring tosser or

Putting together a high current, 450v capacitor discharge circuit. Setting up for can crusher, ring thrower, coin shrinker?? At this point I have 6 - 450v 3300uf capacitors. I expect to wire them in parallel. I have 4 - 600volt 300amp IGBTs that I'll wire in parallel. Specs say 600 amps for 1ms. The IGBT (MG300J1US1) has a diode emitter to collector. Emitter grounded, coil between collector and capacitor positive. The gate capacitance is 24,000pf each, so 4 * 24,000pf is 96,000pf or .1uf All I need it a single shot of 20 volt maximum to the gate. I want to get a fast pulse to the gate. Can I discharge a cap into the gate through a relay or scr. What capacitance, what voltage could I charge it to? Do I need a gate resistor? Do I need any type of IGBT protection against ringing? Thanks for your input, Mike

Reply to
amdx

I can't really help you with the IGBT, but I would drive the 4 gates each with it's own high current driver.

I'll be interested to hear how you come out with this. I built something similar for a SmCo magnetizer. It uses 72,000uf charged to 420V. I used a large SCR as the switch and got lucky and found one for $10 at a hamfest. The discharge pulse lasts for about 8ms and reaches a peak of 3600A. The SCR works just fine and is triggered by discharging a small cap into the gate.

Mike

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." Albert Einstein (theoretical Physicist)

Reply to
Mike