Electrolytic cap in high-discharge application

I'm thinking of making a strobe light using a Xenon tube from an old camera flashgun (tube type unknown). Tentative scheme: The strobe will fire 4 or 5 times at ~2Hz and then given a rest for a minute or so before the next cycle. It is to be used for a few hours at that duty cycle, but only for one day, and then stored for months until the next time.

I'm thinking of charging the storage cap (maybe 220uF) to perhaps

300-400V from a 12V car battery via a dc-dc converter. I don't want to go to the trouble of getting some special super-duper cap - unlikely I can get a specific type here anyway. My question is: If I use a run-of-the-mill electrolytic, the kind that's used as a main dc filter in consumer products such as a CRT TV, how is it likely to fare under the said conditions?
Reply to
Pimpom

It might not like the peak current. Flash capacitors aren't that super-duper expensive:

Not sure if you guys in India still use film cameras. In the US there used to be these disposable cameras where you could take xx photos, then give the whole camera to a processing place. Which was usually located inside a drugstore. The cameras were collected in a box there and (hopefully) recycled. Some people were able to get some of those if they knew the folks behind the counter well enough. The motivation was often to pry out that photo-flash capacitor for free :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's what I'm afraid of.

That's a steal at $1 but alas, there's no way I can order it from here. It's not the price I'm concerned about. It's finding a source. It's not just that I'm in India, I'm in a remote corner of the country. Indian companies ignore emails 9 times out of 10. If I call them, they're likely to say "Yes sir, we have just what you want" and then send the wrong one or simply ignore the order. :-(

The ratio of die-hard film users to digitals is probably roughly the same here as in the US.

I've heard about those disposable cameras, but I don't think it caught on in India - if, indeed, they were introduced at all.

Reply to
Pimpom

Capacitors made for the purpose are marked 'photoflash'. Reason is that a xenon strobe is much akin to short circuiting the fully charged capacitor. A VERY high current flows while the stored energy is dissipated in about a microsecond or so. Good for making a plasma in the strobe tube but just as likely to make a loud noise (and smoke) if the cap isn't up to the task. You can add a series inductance to the discharge circuit to widen the discharge time and moderate current rise - air core recommended. Make sure that you don't exceed the limits of the strobe tube. Too much energy on each flash and too high a flash rate can kill the tube from over-temperature.

Reply to
Oppie

I used to do a lot of flashtube stuff using caps from old TV sets. They seemed to work fine.

John

"Pimpom"

** Kiss goodbye to that Xenon tube real fast.

There is a reason why camera lashes take a few seconds between each full power discharge.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The lifetime of the bulb will depend on the ratio of the flash energy to the explosion energy of the flashlamp. (That's how lamps are specified, believe it or not.)

If you stay below about 10% of the explosion energy, you should get at least a million shots. Start with a cap about a quarter of the size of the one in the flash.

As Phil A points out, you also have to keep the tube reasonably cool.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, I've had second thoughts about the frequency-energy combination I first proposed. Maybe ~1Hz with a smaller cap. However, I'd say that the cycling times of camera flashes have as much to do with charging limitations as with the need to protect the tube. Some flashguns are rated to fire several times a second.

Reply to
Pimpom

But they'll sure use bigger tubes, just like the strobes above a fancy disco dance floor do. My camera also lets off several flashes in one second but the first ones are of limited energy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Wow, best stay away from the later ones. ;-)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"Pimpom"

** If you own opinions are all you need then why come here at all ??
** 5 very short flashes (hence low energy) all supplied off one cap charge.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Good points. Thanks. I doubt this unit will have to go through much more than 1000 flashes before it's discarded and replaced with something else. It's to be a temporary solution that's unlikely to be used for more than a couple of years at the rate of perhaps 10-20 flashing sequences an hour, 3-4 hours a day, 1 or 2 days a year.

Reply to
Pimpom

My original question was about the capacitor. Which is not to say that an expansion of the topic is not admissible, but that does not mean that the OP of a thread is under obligation to treat each reply as gospel.

Reply to
Pimpom

"Oppie

** No fooling ......

** In reality, it's more like a couple of milliseconds.
** Electros do not come to any harm by being shorted or suddenly dumping into a flash tube.

The only thing that harms electros is getting too hot - which could happen in a strobe flashing rapidly for long periods.

Ones rated for camera flash use have low ESRs and long life expectations - low ESR electros are almost the norm these days.

** That is the big worry with the OP's crackpot scheme.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Pimpompous"

** Red herring.

** Obfuscation.
** Straw man.

Go look the terms up if you have no clue what they refer to.

Dickhead.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The old GR stroboscopes ran at KHz rates. Just keep the average power down so you don't melt the flashtube.

If a tube is rated for X joules single-flash, firing it 5 times at X/5 joules should be fine.

Things get fun at a couple of hundred joules per flash. THoooopp! 1Kj is definitely interesting.

John

Have you done the math? According to the back of my "envelope", your biggest problem might be charging the cap in the half second between flashes.

Here in the states, you can buy used one-time-use cameras with flash and good batteries for 20-cents each. If I were doing this, I'd mount 5 flashes side by side, charge 'em with a 3V supply and fire 'em sequentially.

Reply to
mike

Whew! That's a relief. For a moment there, I thought you were losing your touch.

BTW, I'm quite familiar with those terms. Though, as a non-native user of English, I'm not as fluent in _using_ colloquial terms as in understanding them.

Reply to
Pimpom

"mike"

** That is what I call a " plan " ...

BTW

I once made myself a simple "ring flash" by mounting 3 such units around a hole in a piece of cardboard.

The hole was just big enough to poke my SLR camera lens through and the whole kaboodle hung onto the lens using a large electro capacitor mounting bracket.

Fired simultaneously, it worked like a charm for taking close up shots of small items.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Pimpompous"

** Fuck you.

** Sure - they are your stock in trade.
** The terms "straw man" & "red herring" are hardly colloquialisms.

Piss head.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison