if one pci card shut off its power but still in slot, will the system still work well?

if one pci card shut off its power but still in slot, will the  system
still work well?
I cann't do this experiment in my lab. But I think it could work.
If some tricks being done in software,  the system will not shut down
or jsut stand still.
Any oponions? thanks

Re: if one pci card shut off its power but still in slot, will the system still work well?

You're not talking about doing this just to save power are you?
What types of cards are you interested in doing this with and why?

Re: if one pci card shut off its power but still in slot, will the system still work well?
On 7D4%C217C8%D5, C9%CFCE%E712CA%B109B7%D6, Greegor <greego...@gmail.=

well, the card  concerned is just a nomal I/O card with a pci bridge
linke PCI9054 from PLX tech
yes ,just want to save power and full control of every card.

Re: if one pci card shut off its power but still in slot, will the system still work well?

It depends on exactly what the card looks like electrically when it's power is
shut off.

I've definitely seen cards that will prevent the system from booting if they
aren't getting power, presumably because it prevented any communication on the
entire PCI bus which -- on old systems with PCI-based videos cards -- was
pretty much a non-starter.

If the card just looks like a Hi-Z load on the PCI bus when its power is off,
it'll probably be fine.

You really need to look at the design of whatever chip it is that's hanging
off the bus to figure this out.  Note that many ICs have ESD protection diodes
to both rails, so if the IC isn't getting any power, you're hanging diodes off
the bus to ground, and this is likely to prevent the bus from working
properly.

---Joel

Re: if one pci card shut off its power but still in slot, will the system still work well?
On 7D4%C217C8%D5, C9%CFCE%E712CA%B138B7%D6, "Joel Koltner" <zapwireDA=
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com>

thanks ,joel, I will check it. The bridge I use is PCI 9054 from PLX
tech

Site Timeline