Ideas for inexpensive True-RMS Metering?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for the best ideas for implementing an AC power instrumentation front end for a microcontroller or FPGA.

What I need to accomplish is to measure 50-60HZ AC in the range of

120V upwards of 600VAC with about 1% accuracy, TRUE RMS. I need to extract:

  1. Voltage

  1. Current (via current transformers)
  2. Frequency
  3. Power Factor
  4. Phase difference

This needs to work with reasonably distorted waveforms, like what might be found in small generators driven by engines. I also need something that will work for single phase or for 3phase and be scalable to instrument up to two 3-Phase sources.

There are a variety of ways to go about this but I'm looking for something that is very flexible and can adapt to a variety of voltage configurations (line to line, or line to neutral) and is very low cost.

I would guess that it might be similar to the best practices that would be used in the front end of True RMS DMMs or DAQ cards with AC inputs? I know there are also energy metering chips out there, but they are rather expensive.

Thanks for any ideas!

PW

Reply to
EnigmaPaul

Don't waste your time trying second- and third-best solutions. Go to Analog Devices' web site and acquaint yourself with their wide selection. We're featuring the ADE7753 in H&H AoE III, you could start there. 20-pin ssop, $4.61 at DigiKey. It's single phase, but they have more complex 3-phase versions with the same architecture, so what you learn on one is extendable.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Still very expensive. The same amount of $ buys you a complete micro with ADCs.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

All of these are easy to do except the last one. The waveforms can be pretty ratty and it may be difficult to measure this. Why phase difference? Although in getting the rest I suppose you could calculate this.

Reply to
krw

If you are trying to make a globally acceptable product, you may also have to use three voltage transformers (in addition to the current transformers).

I am not sure about the current situations, but many countries used

127/220 V three phase systems. Some dropped the 127 V wye option, thus only 3 phase wires are available (no neutral), with 220 V between the phases in delta configuration.
Reply to
Paul Keinanen

The cheapest way to do this is to buy a small uP that has an on-board ADC and mux. Scale down the line voltages with resistive dividers. A single-phase meter or Y-connected meter can let the uP ride on neutral, and sense neutral current(s) with cheap shunts. Other configurations will generally need current transformers.

A 10-bit ADC works pretty well, 12 is even better. Add some dithering noise to the current signals.

Sample voltage and current inputs and do the math. You can even acquire waveforms. The trickiest math is phase angles.

One of the voltage dividers can also be used to run a timer channel to get frequency.

The algorithms to get metering-quality power measurements are a bit tricky. RMS volts and amps are pretty obvious.

You should be able to do a pretty good 3-phase power meter with a $4 uP, or maybe even a $1 one.

John

The cheapest way to get an inexpensive true RMS multimeter is to simply go buy an inexpensive true RMS multimeter.

You could not possibly jump into a game such as this with such nievete.

AM

--
Naivete invites the jump; reality provides the sudden stop.
Reply to

Presumably you mean AC average voltage, AC average current, and you want those to be RMS averages? For power factor, you need power, i.e. average of (voltage * current) as well. Either you'll require three multipier circuits of some sort, or an equivalent in software.

"Phase difference" only applies to sinewaves, what approximation would be appropriate if your current waveform is... awkward?

To get the power value correct, you have to simultaneously sample the V and I (you can't alternate measurements with a single ADC unless you know some strong limits on slew rates).

I've always wanted to use measurements of (V+k*I) and (V-k*I) so the microprocessor would just have to look up the square of the digitized values (the difference of those squares is 4*k*V*I), that gets you a power measurement without integer multiply instructions.

Reply to
whit3rd

What does that have to do with designing polyphase wattmeters?

John

Remember to put sufficient number of resistors in series so that the combined resistor voltage rating is 1.5 to 2.5 kV depending on the national standards, so that voltage peaks can be handled without flashover.

That is a horrible idea when used with TN-C (or measuring on the TN-C side of a TN-C-S system) wiring system, in which Protective Earth (PE) and Neutral are interconnected at the load. A test equipment wiring fault or a blown shunt resistor could cause the full phase voltage on the cases of multiple load equipment.

Putting current transformers on the phases is the safe way of doing it and works both with wye and delta loads.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

That would make for some interesting ground loops. Using safety ground as a current carrier is illegal here.

A test equipment wiring

As would any open in the single ground wire. Scary, especially at 240 volts.

But they're big, expensive, and nonlinear.

John

Big? If you are sensing dozens of amps and the alternatives are shunt resistors and current transformers, there aren't any 'small' candidates.

Expensive? Not a problem in onesies, I'm not sure what a few thousand DOES cost. OK, probably that's true.

Nonlinear? That only happens with large core field, and current transformers with active burdens solve that problem neatly. It doesn't HAVE to be a small-value burden resistor, that was a simple example.

Actually, the 'big' and 'nonlinear' are connected; you need the size to keep the nonlinearities down, and the use of an active burden reduces both the size and the nonlinearity.

Reply to
whit3rd

'Nievete' seems to be a cheap Chinese clone of better quality instrumentation, hence the warning.

michael the naive

Reply to
m II

Hall effect sensor?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

It used to be legal (or at least common practice) to connect the neutral to both the neutral and ground terminals when "upgrading" residential outlets from 2-prong to 3-prong.

Is that not now (or not ever) legal?

Reply to
Richard Henry

I did the multiple-outle demo with two 1206 low-ohm resistors, in parallel, per channel. Gain is essentially free.

We punch or photoetch our own current shunts out of manganin, for maybe 20 cents each. They'd be pennies in serious volume. The 1206 low-ohm resistors are cheap, too.

The linearity problem isn't at large fields, it's at low ones. Silicon steel permeability drops seriously at low fields, enough that an affordable CT won't meet Ansi C12 accuracy requirements without messy compensations. An active burden doesn't help the copper loss problem; it's easy to use a passive shunt that's ting compared to winding resistance. Active burdens burn power, too.

In real life, no.

John

I don't believe that was ever "legal". The practice now is to use a GFCI on ungrounded outlets and label them as such.

Reply to
krw

Take a look at

While a pole pig in the USA feeding a single house might actually be a true TN-S system, larger systems are most likely TN-C-S systems, so tampering with the TN-C side grounds is a bad idea.

A sane person would not even think about tinkering with the neutral/ground with some test equipment :-).

Typically individual grounding electrodes are required at each house in Europe, but typically the 230/400 V feeder cables and overhead lines are 3L+PEN only.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

That's what AC/DC clamp meters use ;)

Grant.