IDC 40-pin connector for 80-conductor cable?

No it doesn't.

There's no way to get 2 female connectors to mate pin 1 to pin 1.

Reply to
DaveC

Suppose I have a gizmo that lets me connect female-female, but that scrambles the pinout. Does it get unscrambled if I use 2 of them in series? (adding a short chunk of cable with female-female.)

Hal Murray

Let us know how it works out.

Reply to
DaveC

It won't work. You can't just solder two connectors together. That will swap the odd & even pin numbers and short out the entire buss.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

You might as well go to a 40 conductor cable if you do that. The 80 conductor cabe is a set of transmission lines and the reflections from a mix of 40 & 80 pin conductors will screw it up.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You're an idiot.

Reply to
I AM THAT I AM

There are two types of connctors. One AMP and one other, i think ansley, but i'm not shure. They use different pins for the stiped wire. As long as you dont mix brands, you have no problems. But it can be used to switch pins.

--
pim.
Reply to

The lunacy never ends.

The pins are NOT defined by a brand name, idiot. They ARE defined by a standard.

So IF you "found" a connector that was a different pinout (I doubt it), you were looking at a company that is or would soon be belly up.

Do all gang boy generation retards have zero common sense?

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Seems that way.... :)

Reply to
TTman

blue)

drat! That was supposed to be 'slave = gray'

Reply to
whit3rd

blue)

Also not entirely conformed to.

The true statement would be "Master" at the END of the cable (the location is the important part, not the color), "Slave" is near mid-span (nearer the master) and the singular connector at the far end is the connector for the "controller" connector (whether it be ON the MOBO or plugged in to it via device card).

And if you want to get real technical, the right term for the "controller" end should really be termed the "I/O Connector" as the controller for IDE is ON THE DRIVE. The chipset on the MOBO is an I/O interface, NOT a 'controller'.

MFM, SCSI, & ESDI drives had (required) "controllers".

With the advent of IDE, the terminology should have changed, but never did. Some total idiots even argue that it IS a "controller". Absolutely incorrect.

Reply to
SoothSayer

THIS IS HILARIOUS YOU HAVE AN 80 CONDUCTOR RIBBON CABLE? JUST TEAR IT RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE AND USE THE 40 PIN CONNECTOR AVAILABLE OF YOU EVER FIND ONE....OR DISCARD THAT IDEA AND GET A PROPER READY MADE CABLE. WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT LISTEN TO TERROLL HE'S A FRUITCAKE STUCK ON STUPID.

PAT ECUM

Reply to
The Ghost In The Machine

Actually there are three kinds of connectors for this application and they are color-coded (black, blue and grey).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Wrong. There are three types of UDMA connector for UDMA applications. Show me where that is what he asked for.

Note that he made NO request for any such item. He asked about a 40 pin parallel row (IDC) ribbon cable connector.

Since UDMA connectors typically have molded in keyed pins (not useable), I doubt he wants a 39 pin connector.

IF he does want a UDMA connector, there are plenty to be found.

He wants the male header though, and that will NOT be a ribbon cable crimp-on item, though they do exist.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox