IC for Power meter AC and DC

Hi,

is it there a chip for build a power meter for AC and DC at the same time?

For the AC mesure it should give the power for system at 50 Hz or 16

2/3 Hz.

Thanks for any help.

Bye,

MAX

Reply to
maxi

Power (AC or DC) is just the instantaneous product of volts and amps, so you can do this with a microcontroller or a DSP given appropriate transducers, depending on the detailed requirements. There are some ICs optimized for 50/60Hz energy measurement that may or may not be applicable (in conjunction with a lower end microcontroller). Eg. Crystal, AD. Energy is just the integral over time of power, of course. What's the 16.66Hz power used for? A diesel-electric locomotive?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You're almost right. 16+2/3 Hz is used as railway supplying frequency in central europe. At the time of its intorduction, the semiconductors for DC were not available and 50Hz was considered being too lossy. So they took generators with a 3rd of the number of poles. Italy is having 3000VDC, but north of it, it is 16+2/3 Hz (15kV, possibly).

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

What do you mean by power meter? Power delivered to a load? How is the meter hooked up?

Or should the power meter also be the load (like an RF power meter)? If so, what do you want the impedance of the load to be?

What kind of Voltage and power ranges do you expect to see?

Or maybe you just want to measure Voltage?

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Hi,

yes 16 2/3 Hertz is for Traction and Auxiliary converter on train............from 1500V to 25000V.

I need mesure the power delivered to load.

I put a Tension trasductor(TV) and a current trasductor(TA) and i reduce the tension to few mV (both TV and TA). Then i need to multiplier V*A for reading the power.

I know the AD632 but i dont know if this component can give the rigth value if I and V have a COS-Fi differente to = as DC.

Bye MAX

Reply to
maxi

STPM01 from STM is one of many available.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to