HV DC transmission coversion to AC

Intertie:

times. The

Siemens in

Ooops...correction. 6000 amps times 50 ohms would be 300kV, not 30kV, which seems a bit high... In bipolar mode, the differential voltage is 1e6, and the current (max) is 3100 amps, per a BPA doc that's linked on the Wikipedia site. Also, each pole is two conductors (aluminum conductor steel reinforced) of 1171 mm^2 of aluminum each; the total round-trip resistance should be less than 40 ohms. So the voltage drop is presumably below 120kV and power loss "only" something less than 380 megawatts. I'm hoping someone will point out that I've got the resistance high by an order of magnitude or something, but I'm not seeing it right now. The BPA doc is explicit about conductor cross-section, voltage and current, but doesn't mention conductor resistance that I can see.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom Bruhns

Intertie:

arc

times. The

Siemens in

It's 3100 Amps max. The voltage is plus and minus 500kVolts to ground. That's one million volts wire to wire.

Reply to
Bob Eld

--
Geez, John, they\'re smart enough to have had someone design them for
survival.  From:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignitron

"Because they are far more resistant to damage due to overcurrent or
back-voltage, ignitrons are still manufactured and used in preference
to semiconductors in some installations. For example, specially
constructed pulse rated ignitrons are still used in certain pulsed
power applications. These devices can switch hundreds of kiloamperes
and hold off as much as 50,000 volts."

Contrast that with the Krytron, which often gives up its life after
only one shot, and it makes it seem that its granddaddy was pretty
smart.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
The whole museum was on a dimmer?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
OMIGOD!!!

Ign (orant) itron???

From the ridiculous to the sublime!

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
Math errors? ;)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Some non-Wikipedia links that may be interesting:

Tom Bruhns

Ref. my previous posting - if we're talking about the same thing it was a mercury arc rectifier of the sort of size that was used in a cinema, in its metal cabinet but with a transparent screen so it could be seen in operation. I wonder what steps they took to control the nasty UV?

I was never aware of what, if anything it was powering at the museum but I daresay those ingenious curators found some displays with motors they could use as the load, rather than just a heater. I don't suppose the lighting was run off DC, but I could be wrong.

They also had a million-volt Marx generator there which was set off on the hour. Big spark.

Chris

Reply to
christofire

Pedant!

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Both were probably banned years ago on health and safety grounds. Ditto that huge lump of Uranium ore in the Natural History museum.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

ABB's SwePol link uses many thyristors 8kV 60cm^2

$File/swepol.pdf
$File/swepol.pdf

Recent AAB's solutions use 10kV 90cm^2

Reply to
pisz_na.mirek

But in their most important application, a krytron only has to fire once.

John

Careful, the term "Ignitron" is being recycled by the ignorant to sell a new product.

Reply to
JosephKK