dc - ac

How to convert 9.6 NiCd battery (DC) to 12 volt ac, or even something close to 12 volt ac. Thank you

Reply to
Josh

How many amps?

Reply to
Day Brown

It is 12 volts ac 2.5 amps - and i want to power it with an rc car battery rated at 9.6 volts dc 700 mAh, or i could use my other rc car battery which is 9.6 volts dc 1100 mAh.

Thanks for responding

Reply to
Josh

Josh,

You are not going to find parts for this around your house.

You should be able to find a screw driver, though. Use this to open up the device you are trying to power, and figure out what happens to the original 12V AC. You may find that there is one place in the circuit that will accept a DC voltage, to function normally.

Once you know what this voltage is, you can develop a battery source to provide it, fairly easily.

RL

Reply to
legg

Great - i will look into that. Thank you so much for your help.

Reply to
Josh

Nothing's ever this easy. What if the device uses a half-wave rectifier to generate a bipolar supply from the AC?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Well, lets ask the OP, Hey OP do you have/know what a volt meter is ??

Reply to
Donald

The OP doesn't have a clue. And this is really for s.e.repair anyway.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Yes i do, i have one and have used it many times on many things. I tried opening the trans. but unfortunately the plastic casing is sealed - so there is no way to open it without damage.

All i am trying to do is find a cheaper source of converting dc to ac

Reply to
Josh

I just dont want to destroy something that works perfectly fine, and i dont feel like getting a battery in my face either. whats really strange is that my friend took an ac powered subwoofer and put a 9 volt battery on it to power it. It must be such a low battery amperage that it doesnt cause an immediate problem - but his battery life sucks horrendously.

Reply to
Josh

I have decided to just buy a car stereo amplifier to do this job. Thanks for everyones help and ideas

Reply to
Josh

Forget it. Won't work.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

For audio?

with a 2.5A input it's maximum 30W dissipation, so probably under 15W output,

12V DC is plenty for that.
--

Bye.
   Jasen

You'd not know without looking.

A number of popular commercial audio IC's develop two out-of phase outputs from a loosely regulated single supply rail.

Even more common is a single output that is capacitively coupled to the loudspeaker.

Devices that are intended for portability or battery operation are more likely to have more efficient amplifier circuits - switch-mode amplifiers or the like, with the same single or two-phase arrangement.

RL

Reply to
legg