HP calculator is back

In message , dated Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Terry Given writes

I have one which uses a mixture of conventions. That's really scary.

-- OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try

and
There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2. John Woodgate, J M Woodgate and Associates, Rayleigh, Essex UK

Reply to
John Woodgate

is

Check this out

just released, no one has complained about the keyboard either! Mick snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.com

Reply to
Michael

I think it is because they give you the INV check box in conjunction with the X^2 button to do the square root. I don't think it is a fair trade.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

I use something called RPN on a Palm Zire 21 PDA. It works very well and the Zire 21 isn't any bigger than a calculator.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Probably an HP-41C. I still use the one I purchased at about that time. I think it has gone throug 4 sets of size N batteries since then. I don't use the mag card reader any more, though. I did buy the navigation pack at one time to solve celestial navigation problems. GPS has rendered that navigation solution moot.

I started with a KIM-1 board based on the 6502 processor. Similar I/O facilities.

I was already programming the KIM-1, a SWTPC 6800 system and Apple II computers by the time I got the HP-41C. My first programming experience with a calculator came with a WANG desktop about the size of a portable typewriter. That was in about 1975.

Nostalgic is fine. You're no older than your last delivered project!

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

The 41C came out that year, and it was $600 or so...if they were lending it out, it was probably an HP67.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hello Leon,

Yeah but it requires using a stylus and you won't get 15 years out of that Li-Ion battery. Plus it needs to be recharged a lot while the old HP11C doesn't. Anyway, if someone want to look at a review:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Budgie,

is

AFAIR it needs three thick coin cells. Can be bought at Long's and other places, regular stuff. It's been a long time since I had to buy set #2.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg
[snippage]

You see the size of this thing!

Reply to
qrk

I wish they would bring back the HP32Sii. That is a fine calculator. Unfortunately, the going e-bay price for the HP32Sii is frequently in the $150 to $250 range for a $50 calculator.

--
Mark
Reply to

Amazing! Looks just like my TI-83, which I don't use ;-)

My preferred calculator is an old TI-60X

...Jim Thompson

?! sqrt(x) = x^(1/2)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

thats what I paid for my 28S in 1986, NZ dollars :)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Exactly. Rather than raising to the power of 2, you raise to the power of the reciprocal of 2, i.e. 1/2.

Or did I misunderstand your "?!"?

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

I really liked calculators etc. back in the 80's (encompassing the 11C,

15C, 28C, 28S, and the beginning of the 48 series) but for the longest time now, if I have math to do then either:
  1. I can do it on the back of a napkin (or more likely in my head!)
  2. It takes a supercomputer.

RPN with swap comes the closest to having the "gozinta" button. As in "3.14 gozinta 180 how many times?".

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I use google, no need for a mouse and it understands hex and binary even mixed

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Hello Tim,

Hmm. When I want to figure out a resonant frequency of an LC circuit I could do it on a napkin but these things tear too easily and then I have to clean ink off the table. Or worse, my wife sees that blue stain on the table linen and goes ballistic. So I don't.

Can't do that in my head, at least not without a brewsky.

Still, this doesn't need a super computer. Only a slide rule calculator or the 11C ;-)

The best is the back arrow button. Kind of a step reset. The ARRL handbook had the most concise description for such functions: It is the "I-didn't-mean-to-press-that-button" button.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I just wondered how you can do that with the "X^2" button.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

By qualifying it with the INV key, i.e. perform the inverse/reciprocal operation.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

On my TI60X it's NUM1 y^x NUM2 x^-1 =

...Jim Thompson