Need conversion of DD MM' SS", using HP-28C calculator

Hello:

I was hoping that the HP site would have a PDF version of the manual for a calculator that was sold before PDF existed. :-(

Now I hope someone out there has an HP-28C calculator and knows how to use it well.

I would like to convert between decimal degrees, minutes, seconds, et al. on my trusty HP-28C.

On a related note: I can type a location's coordinate in Google Maps and go to the location, but what about the other way around? Is there anyway I can click on a spot a find its coordinates?

TIA,

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera

Keep the degrees, divide the mantissa by 60 & 3600 for minutes and seconds (and add them). Multiply to do it the other way around. Very simple math. (Assuming degrees)

For example: 45 minutes is three-forths of a degree. So 45/60 =3D .75 Make sense?

Reply to
mpm

I realize that the algorithm is important and many people want to know and use it.

But for my purposes, I fire up maps.google.com , type in the lat lng into the search box, and look in the map pop up to see it in both formats.

As far as getting GPS coordinates from a location on a map, I do that in Google Earth. The GPS coordinates of the mouse pointer are continually displayed at the bottom of the map window. If the pointer goes outside the window, it reports the GPS coordinates of the center of the map.

It is free. I upgraded it to Google Earth Plus (only $20/year) so that I could read waypoints, tracks, etc. off of my Garmin GPS.

John

mpm wrote:

Reply to
John