How to Set The Bias Voltage

In Douglas Self's text "Audio power amplifier design handbook", there is a schematic of a 50W amplifier on Figure 7.5, page 194.

What value should the bias voltage potentiometer (1k) in the voltage amplifier stage be? (Looking for a good starting point.)

Is the bias voltage in the voltage amplification stage DC, or AC?

How would I know if the bias voltage is set correctly? Will the output sound any better, any worse, or should I wait for the expensive MJ4502 PNP transistor to explode?

I'd email the author, but judging from the lack of response re: the blurred schematic, I'm not holding my breath for a response.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

** The usual value for a 1k potentiometer.

** Tape recorders use AC bias - amplifiers use DC.
** One sets the idle current flowing in the output devices to some nominal value ( like 20mA ) using the DC voltage drop across one of the emitter ballast resistors.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The bias is the mid point(called the Q point) in the operating range of the transistor... assuming class A.

if you search google for class A, load line, Q point, bias, etc... I'm sure you'll find plenty of info that can explain it much better than I can.

Essentially though what your trying to do is bias the transistor so that neither side of the ac waveform is being clipped on its peak. If you do it one way to much you'll completely cut off one side of hte waveform(if not more) and vice versa. (class AB, B, C, and D do this and essentially the degree determines the class).

In a class A though you do not want them clipped so you have to find that mid point. It will not hurt the transistor if its not biased properly in this case cause it dissipates maximum power when it is biased properly(or close to it).

So go ahead and play around with it. If you got an oscilloscope or sound card you can use it to see the effect of biasing it wrong.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

AKA "Suicide Bias" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state

Thanks for the info.

The schematic was in the Class B section of his book.

Maybe I just need a good third/fourth-year EE introductory text. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

On Jul 22, 7:43=A0am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > On Jul 22, 7:26 am, "Jon Slaughter" wrote: >

Phil Allison gave you the correct answer. Why aren't you happy with it? BTW, ignore Jon Slaughter's 'method'. You'll end up with some very hot transistors that converted themselves from semiconductors to conductors.

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

I didn't say I'm not happy with his answers. I want to understand more, is all. The whole biasing scheme is new to me.

Either way, I think I found a good text:

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Thanks