Scrabble Flash Teardown

Has anyone done or seen a Scrabble Flash Teardown?

It is a new electronic toy, consisting of 5 independent electronic blocks, each with a graphic LCD display, and fine position sensing capabilities. The blocks can 'sense' whether a correct word has been spelled by sensing the relative position(s) of the 5 blocks. All for about 25 dollars!!! I am particularily curious about how it does position sensing.

TomC

Reply to
tomcee

There's a little hole on the left and right edge of each cube, and I'd wager there's an IR transmitter and receiver in each one. After that, it's "just add software" for each cube to figure out which position in the line-up it is, and then communicate its letter and one of them can look-up whether it's a word or not.

An interesting question is whether they're all 100% identical, or did they spread the dictionary among the 5 different cubes so as to reduce the ROM requirements in each one for a dictionary of a given size?

Reply to
Joel Koltner