How does buoyancy work?

One might guess that the sinking would be exactly the same.

I suppose it pretty much would be exactly the same sinking.

But NO! The gravity is less, so it would *have* to sink less, and the rule includes that the water is standard Earth sea level density water.

There is, however, no additional atmosphere to push down on it either. so, it would seemingly sink even less still. And the water would have to be lees dense than sea level Earth water. Hmmmmmm.

Of course, it would also be boiling.

Except, as I stated, within the pressurized confines of The Eagle.

No air on top is about the only thing I see I could have missed including the effects of. But that should make my statement more true, not less.

The ping pong ball would be bigger in a reduced pressure environ too, as it is filled with air.

I don't get it. Don't see what I missed. You'll have to tell me.

Nut floats on Mercury. What height does it float at here? On the moon?

Reply to
SoothSayer

H ow do you define 'pressure differential of the surrounding atmosphere'?

Like starting an upside-down siphon, almost.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Again humor has been achieved.

Reply to
SoothSayer

That's one of those laws of nature that seems to 'cause' things to happen as if they understand the law.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Progressive laws and sustainable technology. Ass backwards.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Ever see that detective show about the UK Underground fire that killed

31 people, that raced up the 30 degree inclined escalator trenches in mere seconds?

They discovered a lot about how fires work in enclosed 'trenches' or 'raceways'.

Reply to
TunnelRat

Hummm..... depends on how deep. I'm pretty sure if you submerge an ordinary ping-pong ball deep enough, it will never submerge. Pressure would eventually crush the ball into a tiny blob of whatever ping-pong balls are made of - likely letting the air out i n the process. Or, the ball ruptures and fills with water.

Reply to
mpm

When they were so ecstatic about the video of their "discovery" of particles glomming together "in space", in a baggie on the space station, I wondered if they considered the fact that there would also likely be an electrostatic effect working.

Reply to
SoothSayer

so now you want to discuss viscosity?

no it won't. friction in the cold chimney will reduce the flow. also the lower air pressure at the higher fireplace will hinder combustion slightly.

that can probably be made to work.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

long

Let's stay within the confines of normal atmospheric pressure and temperature. Just considering the effects of gravity, of course, on the moon the ball weighs less, but so does the water, and by the same proportion. The sinking is therefore the same.

An interesting case to think about is what would happen in perfect weightlessness: What's the final state if a free floating blob of water touches a free floating ping pong ball? (Hint: Surface tension reigns.)

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

long

Ahh, so on the surface of Jupiter, it would sink completely! Oh...

kerplop.

Unless the ping pong ball is coated with RainX.

Reply to
SoothSayer

not

water

of

been.

then

balance

long

I am not sure but i suspect what is called a gravity ventilator may what you are asking for. Something that may be what you are after.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

It will still float if the material is less dense than water, which may well be the case although I'm not sure either way (wish I had a ping-pong ball I could test that with). Some common plastics *are* less dense than water.

Reply to
Pimpom

ball.

long

Or even better:

JW

Pimpom schrieb:

Hello,

but we are talking about solid plastics, no foamed plastics with gas filled bubbles inside. If the density is less than the density of water, it will float, if the density is larger, it will sink.

Ping-pong balls are made of Celluloid which seems to have a density of about 1.67. If they are crushed and filled with water, they will sink.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

FAR OUT!!!

I wonder if the Earth were coated with that if we would not have a Moon right now, 'cause the impactor slid right past...

Reply to
SoothSayer

Polyethelene and polypropylene are the only ones that come to mind.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's it! If we go coat Apophis with it, it will just slip right by!

Reply to
SoothSayer

Ignoring gravity gradient effects, isn't the simple buoyant rule that a floating object displaces an amount of water equal to the object's weight? ...Jim Thompson

I guess without gravity the ball will not move in any direction - agree?

So gravity is the main factor to make the ball floating-up

...One now can imagine, gravity's pulling the liquid down better than pulling the ball, hence no room for the ball at the bottom... it must go up to yield the space

In fact all of these factors involve: Gravity, density, viscosity ...

Reply to
halong