How Do I...

Configuring a new laptop.

OS = WP Pro

I keep running into directories with Hidden "gray-arrow" checked.

Is there some global way to kill this? ...Jim Thompson

What's WP? Did you mean XP?

So far I've re-done one laptop with XP, on account of a croaked hard drive. Just plopped in the install disk, did the required kowtow to Redmond for the online blessing, and that was pretty much it.

As for hidden files go to Windows Exploder, Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Show hidden files and folders. Turn that on if desired (default is "Do not show").

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep, XP, must not be fully awake yet ;-)

They show, just the gray arrow... aaaargh! I'm still asleep, what is gray-arrow checked is "read-only" :-(

A royal nuisance when you're dealing with hundreds of PSpice device library files :-( ...Jim Thompson

              With Half My Brain Tied Behind My Back
              Still More Clever Than Mr.Prissy Pants

You can right-click them all as a group (or the containing folder) then deselect the read-only flag AFAIK

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Time for a HUGE mug of coffee? Or cuophy, as New Yawkers would say.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

command line: attrib /S /D -R *

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Indeed! Don't know why I'm groggy this morning except, maybe, I was sleepy last night and went to bed at 9PM :-( ...Jim Thompson

              With Half My Brain Tied Behind My Back
              Still More Clever Than Mr.Prissy Pants

I'm constantly editing libraries to suit my own needs.

I uncheck the gray read-only, it asks, "Apply to all sub-folders", I answer yes. It churns, Gray check goes away.

Return to this directory later, and it's rechecked :-(

Annoying as hell. ...Jim Thompson

If I understand you, it means "some files hierarchically placed under this point in the filesystem are read-only, some are not."

If you uncheck, and then re-check the checkbox, it makes 'em all readonly. If you leave it unchecked, they are all read-write.

Think carefully whether or not you want library files to be read-write....

Do you use CVS, Subversion, or any other version control system? My experience is that hardware guys resist this sort of thing. Kudos if you don't - "undo" at the multi-file level is a good thing...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Mine are device model (Spice) libraries, and I'm the only player in the band ;-)

Microshit ;-)

Anyone tried v7 yet? ...Jim Thompson

              With Half My Brain Tied Behind My Back
              Still More Clever Than Mr.Prissy Pants

And I'm constantly advocating version control...

It's a Konspiracy - some software you use is being too polite and re-read-only-ing them for you. Might be worth a question to support...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

The curse of a lot of - most windows based - software: Programmers that pretend to do the thinking for you. Makes me think that *they* did not learn to think for themselves and expect all the rest of humanity to suffer from the same disease. If some programmer wants to be "polite" I

  1. Want to know it.
  2. Want a way to disable it. Sigh. Think my wishes are blowing in the wind. :(

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

[snip]

So all programmers are Democrats ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Obama thinks the term "bully pulpit" actually means "pulpit bully"

Sure, but ... we all have an evil twin...

Nope. Whatever it is that's allowing you to edit the Spice models, or perhaps whatever it is that is interpreting them...

Can't really say, sitting here. Make a move with each, hit F5 on a Windows Explorer full of files and see what move you makes causes it...

Nope.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Vista on steroids. ;-) Slooow & no mail client. I'll stick to Linux !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hmm... Don't think so. There is also well funtioning software after all but it does not strike that much. It simply does the job. :)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

As someone whose main gig is programmer, I could not agree more.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Bah!

We're all Stalinists, to a man ;)

No, the good ones think a lot like John Derbyshire.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill