Hot Tweezers a Hot Tool?

What I find is that tips perforate, then erode within the plating, so you get a hollow shell that doesn't conduct heat well, finally collapsing in on itself.

When you have soldering stations, running 8 hours a day with sub-millimeter tips, tip life is measured in weeks. or worse.

I wouldn't like to file a 0.5 mm. needle tip, even if quality control procedures would let me.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I guess that's down to using what are partially plated tips. I have plated tips for lead free and bare copper for leaded, and both have been fine.

No.

NT

Reply to
NT

:)

I've damaged boards doing that. It concentrates forces onto small points, which can lift tracks. However it sounds like you do more boards than me.

NT

Reply to
NT

No. fully plated. Perforation usually occurs on points and edges. Dual thermocouple irons running between 320C and 375C, depending on job.

We don't use lead free. All MIL and exempt.

Why use plated tips for lead free? It's the lead that attacks tips, which is what plating is there to stop.

Pure tin should alloy with copper to form a surface layer of a form of bronze. which is durable. Lead free should't attack copper as badly as lead bearing solder.

Molten lead will attack platinum !!

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I thought it was the higher temp of unleaded that accelerated tip dissolution.

NT

Reply to
NT

Reply to
D from BC

Different tools with some functional overlap, IMHO. Tweezers are *much* faster and easier to use when replacing SMD resistors & diodes. They heat just the part in question and thus prevent pad damage and unintended movement of neighboring parts.

A hot air pencil (not to be confused with a torch!)

does a nifty job replacing small pin-count devices. I never get tired of watching gray solder paste convert to shiny solder, as in a sci-fi flick!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You should try brazing or welding some time. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise