Holy c(r)apacitor dielectric, Batman!

She probably got the family's highest medal of valor.

Out of my eight batches so far one contained British yeast and the other seven French yeast. Which is strange considering that France is a wine country. The main reason being that US companies generally supply liquid yeast which can suffer during shipment and is almost twice as expensive as the French freeze-dried yeast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We drove around France for a couple of months once. I asked some small wineries, in my terrible high-school french, about the yeasts, and they said that they just used what was naturally on the grapes. I don't know if that was true.

The french mostly make terrible beer.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I thought you N'Orleans guys all had French ingrained. My English teacher is from there and until she was about 6 she spoke mostly French like everyone else in her neighborhood.

That's how beer was made in medieval times. The stick used to stir the cooled wort for aeration had bacteria on it and that would start the fermentation. Most of the time. Sometimes not. If you used the right stick. If the weather was right.

I'll ask a church member. He has a winery and grew up in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. AFAIK his dad made wine, and his grandpa, and his great-grandpa, and ... He ought to know.

Yeah, Kronenbourg isn't exactly craft beer. Not sure if that improved after Carlsberg bought them. There is some big consolidation going on. Heck, even two of the large homebrew suppliers were bought by InBev this month. I hope the reason was not to shut us little guys out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

some might do it to be more "authentic", but I doubt most will take the risk of getting everything ruined by a random bad yeast

the big ones are about volume and speed, the different type of beers they make are even by fermenting different malts separately and mixing to order

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's why ever since I started homebrewing again we don't like store bought beer anymore. I just does not compare except for very few truly good craft beers such as those from Belgian monasteries.

Ok, I also drink Grolsch but only because I want those flip-top bottles for my homebrew. It used to be my house beer when living in the Netherlands but ever since Asahi bought them it seems not to be the same beer anymore. My wife used to like it but now she usually gives me the remaining third of her beer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I married a Cajun girl once, and her relatives spoke Cajun French, but that's a different language from the Parisian stuff.

My ears just don't work for languages. I can't even understand most accented English very well. And I don't like music. That part of my brain never worked well. I almost flunked out of high school over French class.

I can mostly understand you pretty well!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Once I was listening to Irish songs (Dubliners) and my Mountain Bike buddy who is a native Californian couldn't understand a word.

Later I passed a road bike rider with the tunes playing. He said that he is of Irish descent but didn't understand a word either.

When I live some place for too long I develop the local brogue. In the Netherlands it became so extreme that people from anywhere outside the southern-most part or Belgium would not understand us if we spoke too fast.

My music taste is considered weird by most. African Reggae, Caribbean, Blue Grass, and some rock.

I flunked Latin, big time. Zero motivation. They only allowed a limited number of foreign languages and because Latin was mandatory I could not take Spanish. I regret to this day that I had to learn a dead language instead.

Thanks :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Murata has a complete set of curves for each capacitor, as well. It's only on the web site, AFAICT.

Sure it is (Murata). Just look up the part number (or value, voltage, size, or whatever search floats your boat). It's right there on the web site. I use it all constantly when I'm doing a design (purchasing prefers Murata).

Or is should at least go *bang* at 35V, or something. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Go to the manufacturer's web site.

Do your capacitors need capacitance, too? Good luck! ;-)

Reply to
krw

You just have to look.

e.g.

Reply to
krw

Well, yeah, that's why I said I prefer Murata over many others in this situation. Even where I am sure I could obtain the information in writing I am reluctant because my clients have to pay my time spent on the phone run-around et cetera.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Handwriting a Greek "mu" so that it looked more like a "p" to pretty much everybody who looked at it isn't just bad penmanship - it's downright misleading.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Murata has all the info available via web interface here:

The web page will generate a PDF datasheet with all the info so it doesn't disappear on you.

They have some downloadable software too, but they don't seem to be updating it with the more recent parts.

330uF/4V in a 1210! (but -50% at 3.3V, and Digikey has 0 in stock)

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That's the sort of stuff I was thinking of for a Z5U-tuned application, but I never came up with anything that really screamed 'yes!'

I sure have a bunch laid away in stock if that ever happens though. :-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

When I came back from Europe I couldn't drink American 'beer' for ages.

The convergence of my declining standards with rising domestic quality eventually won. But I'm trying to keep up my girlish figure :), so I rarely indulge.

Alcohol's supposed to be good for the arteries, though, just bad for everything else!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Naturally that's the first thing I did. I've been doing that for every single part number, fruitless search after fruitless search and getting no satisfaction.

It's beyond ridiculous--I'm no rookie and I'm not just pulling a Sloman. The websites have been horrible.

That said, I've broken through on a few, which I'll post in my answer to Spehro.

Thanks!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Thanks!

Here are two others I've found so far--

1) Yageo has a search-by-part-number page. Enter your search, then look at the right-most results column for a link to "DC bias, AC voltage, TCC, ESR & |Z|" for your part #. That's decent.

2) Kemet has K-Sim, a web-based simulator that generates plots for certain of their part numbers:

3) Here's your link for Murata, here for handy reference:

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I didn't even notice the 'mistake'--I knew exactly what John meant, immediately figured by several simultaneous paths "that's a mu," and spent my time horrified at the electronic phenomenon John had showcased for us, rather than fixated like you on his penmanship.

I never once thought it was an electrolytic or 47pF--that simply didn't make sense, not for a pico^H^H^H^Hmu-second.

This is trivial stuff Bill. You're too literal.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Here are some sample part readings from Spehro's Murata link:

=== 2.2uF === GRM219R61H225KE15 0805 2.2uF/50V X5R .95mm thick, 700nF @ 12VDC GRM21BR61E225KA12 0805 2.2uF/25V X5R 1.35mm thick, 1uF @ 12VDC GRM21BR61H225KA73 0805 2.2uF/50V X5R 1.4mm thick, 700nF @ 12VDC

GRM219D71C225KA12 0805 2.2uF/16V X7R .95mm thick, 900nF @ 12VDC GRM21BR71C225KA12 0805 2.2uF/25V X7R 1.35mm thick, 1.1uF @ 12VDC

=== 1uF === GRM219R61H105KA73 0805 1uF/50V X5R .7 mm thick, 500nF @ 12VDC GRM21BR61H105KA12 0805 1uF/50V X5R 1.35mm thick, 800nF @ 12VDC

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Some of my switchers have 1 volt outputs, and one recent LDO is 0.75 volts out, so those low voltage caps are actually useful.

I don't trust the simulations (which are TINA anyhow) so I breadboarded five different switchers last week, using a mix of hi-K caramic and polymer aluminum caps. Just a little change in ESR can really affect stability.

lunatic fringe electronics