High temp thermometer.

rote:

uld

act that

good

Even Agilent and Boeing have the occasional screw-up in their purchasing department.

John Larkin's ever-unreliable imagination has told him that I'm not working because I've got the kind of obnoxious personality that jeers at his sillier pontifications.

Back in reality, I'm not working because I'm 69 years old, and no Dutch employer can imagine hiring a 69-year-old, no matter how winning their personality might be.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

e:

ote:

Academic question. My most recent patent was issued in 1983, and presumably expired in 2000.

My attitude exactly. My employers saw it differently.

If you use them in the same way that their inventors did. If you had the imagination that you claim, you could see new applications for stuff that was invented to solve problems that aren't quite the same as the ones you need to solve.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

ote:

odynamics

or

py

.D.,

There isn't one. It's just an interesting technical problem. The way it's working out is starting to look a bit like standards lab stuff, but that's because it looks as if we can get a remarkably low harmonic content, and we've started having to worry about all kinds of low level effects.

Notionally, the device is set up to drive a Blumlein AC bridge - the output winding will probably be a double-screened bifilar winding of the kind that Rayner and Kibble would recognise and approve of

The last time I built a circuit to do this kind of job - back in 1986

- it excited the linear variable differential transformer (LVDT) used to measure the progressively increasing mass of a single crystal of gallium arsenide (GaAs) being grown in the Metals Research GaAs Liquid- Encapsulated Czochralski (LEC) crystal puller.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

How is that wisdom workin out for you?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

:

rote:

modynamics

for

ppy

h.D.,

at

No way. I've never paid a page charge in my life, and I'm not going to start now.

My h-index is two.

My most-cited paper has been cited 14 times (twice by me, which doesn't count). The next one has been cited twice, which makes my H- index 2.

Serious scientists get to around 40 - some do better.

Obviously, I'm not seriously interested in racking up more publications - it's something to do, but it's on a par with running a marathon in less than five hours (which is not one of my ambitions).

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Patents are useful in some situations, for instance:

  1. Getting a good valuation for your startup company;
  2. Defending yourself against predatory competitors who patent prior art things and then sue you to put you out of business (*);
  3. Protecting you from folks who want to steal all your hard work in developing something really new before you have a chance to get a return from the effort.

Building a wide range of electronic gizmos for niche markets normally doesn't hit any of those things, but some other sorts of efforts commonly do, e.g. chipmaking and optical instruments.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) I've had expert witness gigs helping defend small companies from attacks of just this sort.

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Rambus.

Reply to
krw

Use a cordless drill. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Even the dumbest little coil winding machine has tensioning arm and a turns counter, not to mention a universal chuck to hold the coil former. People do use small lathes, but if you've got a small lathe you can probably build the tensioning arm yourself.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

rote:

uld

It worked out okay from time to time in the past, which is why I keep reading. Unfortunately, the stream of problems to be solved has rather dried up. The current low distortion oscillator cribs a control loop - originally intended for second-order phase-locked loops - from Floyd M. Gardner's "PhaseLock Techniques"

Unfortunately, my copy of the book is now in Sydney, so I can't give you chapter and verse. I don't think that Floyd Gardner ever patented it, and I've got no idea whether he invented the approach - it is more or less standard control theory these days.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman