High temp thermometer.

Not to long ago, we looked at some funky looking seebeck controller, instead of the terminals or connection for the couple on the device, It comes with a jumper assembly that allows you to install the jack on the outside of the panel. This assembly has both temp sensor and the thermocouple terminations at the jack. This keeps the two together where it matters.

The problem is, it is not a panel mounted device with display. These are din rail only and a slew of communication options to talk to it..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

As for you, I work with what ever my employer allows me to purchase with the budget for that job. If it can be gotten as a common item, that is what takes place. If not, it gets built.

As for me thinking that I know it all? That opinion usually comes from those with a insecurity problem?

I've never claimed to know it all. I don't, Because I am intelligent enough to know the difference. I am proud of what I do know because it was hard work all these years that got me where I am. And I for one, think I have done very well over the years.

However, there are those that are just leaches and get upset when they find out they aren't the only kid on the block. Kind of common here, wouldn't you say? Something you should be familiar with.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

e:

mics

Pity you missed the subtle bit about self-heating in the wire - the current A is running through the resistance of the NiCr alloy wire (though Ken hasn't specified the proportions of nickel and chromium, which does affect the resistance) and generating a more or less predictable amount of heat per unit length, which has to be dissipated

- and the slightly less subtle bit about standard temperature and pressure being less standard than they might be - Wikipedia is helpful there.

re

If you'd paid a little more attention back in Tulane, you might have done better. Ken S. Tucker isn't too bright, but he still seems to have outsmarted you.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Length is not NOT height. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

I missed the part about turning on the switch! Seriously though, Mr. BS is entirely unaware of most of thermal technology such as...

I needed just one question to rat out the charlatan. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

So a wire only has length if it is extended horizontally. Interesting language you speak. Where I come from the length of a wire is independent of it orientation, wire in a loop or coil can have a length that doesn't depend on the diameter of the coil.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It's strange that someone so aggressively unimaginative and dour would frequent a design group.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

te:

amics

Since Ken ratted himself out as a charlatan years ago, his claims that anybody else is a charlatan can't be taken seriously.

The pretentious twit doesn't realise quite how transparent his little ploys are.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Get a job. Design and build something. DO something besides drone on and on.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

:

ote:

I've got more patents than you have, so presumably I've got rather more functional imagination.

You, of course, use your imagination where anybody with any sense would search out real world facts ...

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

:

te:

dynamics

D.,

Something to distract me from exposing you with informed criticism?

In fact the design of the low distortion oscillator is pretty much finished, and the bulk of the parts ought to arrive tomorrow, so I should be able to get on and build something at last.

The latest version of the inductor for the tank circuit needs a lot of turns of fine wire, and I really hope that I can wind it on the little coil winding machine in the universitie's science faculty workshop, but there's no point in talking to them about it until I can front up with the coil formers and the wire. I've actually got the 60u Mylar tape.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I have more patents that you do, but that has nothing to do with the fact that you're a dumbshit.

It would seem his imagination keep him in business, employing several good people. You?

Reply to
krw

e:

ote:

that

Krw is so dumb that even the other right-wing nitwits have noticed, and he thinks that his patents - filed by the IBM patent department in its ceaseless search for valueless patents to throw into patent=3Dswap agreements - are worth the paper they were printed on.

It's his imaginative claims that he produces "insanely good" electronics that keep him in business, peddling pedestrian bespoke electronics to people who don't know any better.

I'm honest and realistic, which blocks that particular option.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

But the circuits they connect to can be. Once cost me a week's work finding out that a controller's erratic behavior was due to RF crap from a thyristor bank getting into a thermocouple input, on a brand new piece of plant. The maker's commissioning engineer had run away, screaming for Mommy, (well, screaming for their R&D guys, really), The customer couldn't wait. I suppose I should have asked for twice what I actually got.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Bill, what is your present income from the products you have personally designed and are shipping?

Just curious.

Reply to
John S

thermodynamics

Who is your paying target customer other than yourself?

Reply to
John S

I have one, but I have rights to use it. How about yours? Are they all assigned?

I'm not much interested in patents. Silly waste of time, getting and defending patents, when you could be designing more stuff.

Things that are already invented are boring, not to mention competitive.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

About half of our business is catalog items, and half is OEM/custom. Not much is pedestrian; we charge too much to sell ordinary stuff.

We *don't* sell engineering, and we never sell or give away our IP.

Here are some prople, like Agilent and Boeing, who don't know any better:

You're an obnoxious, tedious fathead, which is why you haven't designed anything interesting in a long, long time. It's your choice.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

thermodynamics

He wants to get it into a journal, where he'll most likely pay *them* to publish it. Then what he really wants is a few citations. A guy can dream, can't he?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

rote:

ld

act that

good

Zero. I'm retired, much against my will. I have designed stuff that was sold, but it was mostly embedded in products that I helped improve, rather than had a big part in designing. There were a couple of potential products where I did do the hardware system design, but the major ones all got canned, one of them before we'd even built any of the hardware, and another after after we'd got the prototype working pretty well.

I haven't seen any of my old employers for a few years now, and I haven't got a clue if any of my brain-children are still making money.

The Cambridge Instruments EBMF 10.5, where I spent about a year up- grading various bits of the beam steering electronics, and redid the electron-beam blanking driver (mainly to stop the service engineers blowing it up by shorting the blanking plates to ground) is probably still making money - because we sold one to the Australian Mint to make the hologram patterns that "water-mark" Australia's plastic notes (a technology that they've sold overseas since then). They needed its big (4mm square) writing field, and the 10.5 was the only electron beam microfabricator that could do the job.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman