High Side Driver

It all depends on where the MOSFET gate driver is referenced. In the usual case of high-side switching the driver is referenced to the high-side mosfet source and there indeed is "Miller effect". This is

*not* a follower configuration.
--
Thanks,
Fred.

High-side switching is *not* a follower configuration.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

I think Jim's talking about "Miller effect," (gain*Cdg) whereas I'm talking about "Miller capacitance" (Cdg).

G=1, so the effective capacitance isn't multiplied, true, but it still matters.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Even a follower has a change of Vdg when it switches. It may not look like a follower has voltage gain, but from the fet's perspective it sure does.

If Vgs changes 4 volts but Vdg changes 20 volts, there is effective voltage gain and "Miller effect", namely lots of gate current caused by the change in Vdg into Cdg.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Lots of people call it that. Technically, "Miller effect" is the apparent increase of plate-grid capacitance that results from the negative voltage gain of a tube.

It's certainly there in a follower. Plate-grid or (drain-gate) capacitance gets charged by the change in plate-grid voltage.

Right. Miller effect.

Precision electronic instrumentation

The fet doesn't know that the gain, as you define it, is 1. If, relative to the source, the gate swings +5 volts and the drain swings -50, the gain is -10. And the gate current will correspond. The drain-gate capacitance has to be charged.

Precision electronic instrumentation

er

e a

ge gain

Vdg

I stand corrected. In Jim's circuit Vgd goes from -12 to +12v, while Vs goes from 0 to 12v. So, Cgd sees 2x the voltage swing of Cgs. Cdg is effectively doubled.

So you're right, there is effective gain, and Miller effect too.

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I think we're saying the same thing.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Miller implies gain from gate-to-drain. However the Si4666DY I'm using doesn't have the QG spread that appears in some of the devices Spehro referenced.

Yep. That's why QG is a better measure of gate movement than the various capacitances given in the tabulated data. ...Jim Thompson

There _is_ change in the gate-drain voltage, but there's no _gain_ term as in "Miller". ...Jim Thompson

Of course, but there's no "gain". AND CDG, CGS, CDS aren't real lumps... that's why better results are obtained from QG. ...Jim Thompson

Until the gate is "charged" the source doesn't move. ...Jim Thompson

There is _no_gain_ from gate-to-drain. So I think "Miller" is a mis-used term here. ...Jim Thompson

Of course there is. Just for a thought experiment, change the circuit reference to the switching mosfet source (the gate driver being referenced from this point) and all that becomes obvious. A big Vds change for a small Vgs change looks like voltage gain to me.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Tried to post a PNG here and in A.B.S.E, but it wouldn't take, so go here....

...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

So, still no evidence that you calculated the values that you claimed to have calculated.

Because you didn't. And apparently still can't.

You fiddled it in Spice, which was the sensible thing to do. So why lie about having calculated it? Bizarre.

Precision electronic instrumentation

If you think in terms of measuring small-signal gate capacitance, a linear follower doesn't show multiplication of Cdg. But the high-side switch isn't a linear follower. If you think in terms of how much gate charge it takes the high-side driver to switch, Vcc matters, and more Vcc requires more gate drive.

Since it's nonlinear too, Spicing makes much more sense than an analytic solution based on "capacitance."

Precision electronic instrumentation

Right. The words that we use don't change what the circuit does.

Precision electronic instrumentation

You can certainly define gain relative to the mosfet itself, deltaVds over deltaVgs. Or you can define gain of the overall circuit as being somewhat below

  1. The circuit doesn't care how we think about it. The voltages and currents vs time are what matter.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Mr. Miller probably knew that before he discovered that his common-cathode amp was anomalously slow. ;0

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs