High Side Driver

High Side Driver...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Sure, if you like flappy gates.

Also, who would buy an inductor when three BJTs does as well?

I did the inductor thing years ago, must've been like 2008ish. Plus a transformer:

But I'd much rather spend a few cents and as many watts with a CCS turnoff than a few bucks inductor. Better still, just use H bridge drive (TL598).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

I guess you didn't observe the load current?

In general I'd guess your attention span is limited >:-} The need is for a high side driver, controlled by a 3.3V logic signal.

And the inductor is ~7 cents in the quantities used by my customer, and he's very cramped for space.

(In addition, schematic has been munged to hide details... customer only has +3.8V high-side supply, which must deliver 8 Amps to load with minimal drop.) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I have a problem with Jim's pages, the lines are to thin to see, I suspect my reader, and will try adobe. How do I pull up associations? I've done it a dozen times but can't figure it out now. The reader I use is Foxit (I think, I find no identifying info) Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The free Adobe X Reader seems to work just fine. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Right click on the file and choose: 'Open With', then select 'Choose Program'. It will tell you what the default program is, and let you change it.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How clever of you, to change the supply voltage to 12, to conceal from us that the actual voltage is 3.8.

Well done!

 Click to see the full signature

Of course! I have to leave some tidbit for you to whine about. Otherwise your sycophants will realize you're an idiot, and we can't have that... at least not quite yet >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

So, how did you calculate the R and L values? I assume you did it twice, once for 12 volts and once for 3.8.

 Click to see the full signature

Think about it JOHN! Fundamentals! Sheeeesh!

I'm sorry! I apologize! You're a victim of your Tulane kindergarten education. My sincere apologies >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

OK, you can't do it.

 Click to see the full signature

Doesn't the magic smoke come out if there's even a tiny bit of current leakage draining away the voltage that L1 transferred to MN1's base? Or if the control signal to MN2 has a bit of a bounce? At least in your slightly obfuscated circuit, that would leave MN1 pumping out about 2 times its rated wattage.

PSpice needs a "circuit board in the tropics" mode.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Thanks, I had to save it before I could right click. I looks much better using Adobe than it does Foxit Reader. Anyone else have a problem seeing the lines... hmm, now after saving the file and opening it with Foxit, the schematic looks better with Foxit than Adobe. Any time I want to view Jim's schematics, I'll save it first. I think that was the solution. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

For this application the drive is repetitive at ~2kHz square-wave. Think of it as a one-cycle boost: When MN2 turns off, 0.5*L*I^2 gets transferred to 0.5*C*V^2, turning on MN1. When MN2 turns back on, the L is recharged and the gate of MN1 is discharged.

Except for "tropics" mode ;-) I believe it will hold up for significantly lower rep-rates.

The link now includes a complete .CIR file suitable to run directly in LTspice. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

0.5*L*I^2 = Qg*Vg (Qg = Total Gate Charge, from data sheet, at gate voltage, Vg)

Not "L = R^2 * C"

"Close to it" (pretty close actually) would be...

0.5*L*I^2 = 0.5*C*V^2

It's all about energy transfer from magnetic storage to capacitive storage... and boost converters rely on it. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

[neglecting losses in diode and resistor, I'll include that RSN, otherwise someone will have another hissy fit :]

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Good grief! Do the algebra!

 Click to see the full signature

Thank You! I had the same problem. After reading your post, I saved it then opened it. Bingo! Now it's readable.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

--