High Side Driver

Yes, obviously. I wasn't trying to solve your problem.

Here's what I'd consider for your situation:

+3v3 -+- | |_ _)| L1 _)| _)| | | V D1 +12v --- -+- | | | ||--' | ||
Reply to
dagmargoodboat

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Where do you get one with dissimilar Vz?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

You don't, but a dual 20 volt zener would work.

Precision electronic instrumentation

dagmargoodboat

--
Won't isn't the same as can't.
Reply to

He won't because he can't.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Due to Miller, the actual value is Vdd-dependent (in addition to device-dependent). It's easier to overfill L1 and clamp off whatever you don't need. Fewer headaches.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Question: Does total Qg include Miller effect?

Reply to
John S

Yes, and that's why it's Vdd-dependent.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Spehro -

The graph I looked at for an example showed two Vdd lines so close together that I would have trouble distinguishing the difference on the graph. Never-the-less, I have been warned.

Many thanks.

Cheers, John S

Reply to
John S

Ain't no Miller in a follower (high-side) configuration. ...Jim Thompson

Huh! VDD-dependency is due to depletion layer spread. Ain't no "Miller" in a follower (high-side driver) configuration. ...Jim Thompson

Sorry, I thought we were talking about common source switching.. mixing two different conversations, I'm afraid.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

P.S. Here's a decent application note on MOSFET gate charge:-

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks! That's a good app-note! ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

"Miller" is just a word. There's certainly charge from Cdg in a follower. Lots of charge if Vd is high.

The fet doesn't know it's in a follower circuit. All it sees is the voltages on its three leads.

Precision electronic instrumentation

There's no gate current caused by the voltage changing across Cdg?

Precision electronic instrumentation

Sure there is, Cdg, the Miller capacitance, right? That's what I call it, anyhow.

As the FET turns on, dv/dt across Cdg saps off the charge you're trying to force into the gate, by an amount that varies with Vdg(t0).

Depending on the FET (and since you are depending on the FET's particular characteristics), it could matter.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat