High ^%$( resolution

It's not 4k, it's that new technology is "better" - higher contrast ratios, whiter whites, blacker blacks, etc. I have a 1080p IPS monitor that makes my old monitors look "yellow" by comparison, and that's at

25% brightness, and the 4k monitor makes the IPS monitor look yellow.

What I did was keep the same DPI as I upgraded - so my 4k monitor is about 40". Windows are basically the same size but I can fit more of them on the screen, see more of my layouts at the same time, etc. My monitor array is about 6 feet across, with active windows in the middle, reference material further out, and status at the edges.

So... if you want to edit your schematic while having all those PDFs of the chips up for reference at the same time, buy more pixels :-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

And the 16Kx16K monitor will make your 4K look terrible.

Monitor resolution doesn't affect electronic design productivity any more. If you spend more time admiring pics or playing games, it reduces it.

Do you keep spinning around to face all those monitors? Or have a small circular office?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's about a 90 degree arc around my chair, yes. If I lean back and get comfortable I can glance at the side monitors without moving my head, though.

"How does he see the monitors on his left?" "He turns his head." "Sounds exhausting."

Reply to
DJ Delorie

OK, but I can't see that far.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ha! I can't see that near :-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Maybe worth a try. In theory the higher brightness should cause the iris to stop down and yield more depth of field, so less eyestrain and demands on accomodation.

I like having a full PDF page displayed and clearly readable.

Especially with the thousands of pages of documentation we have to sift through these days. I dislike scrolling and I don't particularly like pivot or portrait displays.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I am nearsighted by design, 12" in one eye and 20" in the other.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 09:03:29 -0800, the renowned John Larkin

Anyone can see from those forearms he's been juicing big-time. Wimpy- masterful at playing dumb- was supplying him with anabolic steriods in cans marked "spinach" all the while.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Whiter whites means brightness. Of which the average monitor has far too much IME. Re yellowness, any modern monitor offers colour temp adjustment, as does any modern OS.

Yes they've got better. My first colour LCD monitor had severe colour distortion dependant on view angle. There was no viewing position where a single colour stayed the same across the screen, or anywhere near it.*

However technical improvement isn't always useful. And marginally useful isn't always worth it.

  • But it wasn't as bad as the TV with the bent shadowmask. The person I gave it to reported it was a very weird experience. It was colour, but psychedelic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

To me "whiter whites" means a more accurate and complete color gamut, allowing you to reproduce colors better. The newest monitors have a much wider gamut than the old ones, allowing you to get closer to "pure white" independent of backlight level. They also offer redder reds, bluer blues, etc. Not *brighter* colors, but more... colorful ones.

But if your monitor doesn't have a complete color gamut, it can't display the full range of colors. I've had these monitors for a while now, and they're configured as good as they're going to get. It's like the difference between a new photograph and a faded one.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I think you're wrong about that. I'm with DJ on this one. More pixies is better.

Reply to
krw

White isn't brightness, rather temperature. Think "daylight" vs. "soft white" florescent lights.

OK, it's not "worth" it to you but that doesn't mean it's useless. "Worth" is always in the eye of the beholder.

Reply to
krw

Yes, full page PDFs would really be nice. Another place a really large screen would help is spreadsheets. I use spreadsheets to lay out pin assignments on uCs, DSPs, and such (pin muxing lists) as I'm doing the schematic. The pinmux lists have all of my assumptions for default directions, power levels, and everything the programmer needs. For SOCs (and when I was doing FPGAs), these spreadsheets can get fairly large. BOMs can get pretty big, too, though I don't usually have the schematic open when I'm working on them.

I'm not a fan of portrait mode, either, though I might go that way for one display if I had a couple more landscape.

Reply to
krw

I have a mix - landscape in the middle and portrait beside them. My son adopted "portrait on the side" as well - landscape for gaming and portrait for Facebook, though ;-)

Monitors are too cheap these days to only have one...

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Spreadsheets work out better in landscape and I quite often (usually) have more than one schematic open, as well.

Managers are too cheap these days to have one, I suppose. ;-)

When I was contracting, I told the boss that a second monitor was only a couple of hours of my time and I could pay it back (in productivity) in less than a week. He wasn't impressed but we did get second monitors a couple of months later. They weren't great, even at that time, though. I had better at home.

Reply to
krw

really it's a vague term.

No current production monitor has a full colour gamut. There's no violet or orange channel. Someone will doubtless point out one can get orange from R&G - but only upto a point. You don't get the full available range of oranges that way.

It's all an improvement on the 2 channel colour monitor I used to occasionally use though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How about none?

lunatic fringe electronics

My uncle had a setup like that. He got contract jobs to do all the things that computers weren't flexible enough to do...

Reply to
DJ Delorie

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 20:17:26 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Then you obviously have no clue what the term 'color gamut' means.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I like to draw schematics. It's a lot nicer and faster than entering them on a screen.

lunatic fringe electronics