High ^%$( resolution

Thanks for the reference.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Moulding them in 2 or 3 colours makes them perform better as well. And a bi g (filled in zigzag) lump in the handle makes them bendier. Which somehow p revents excess forces reaching your teeth. Somehow.

Same game with household cleaning products. Dilute them 20x, add a spray to

If you're in UK at least Tesco does plain toothbrushes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

-- then the money machine keeps >> pumping. People are now completely driven by marketing ploys and nothing else.

It has been like that for ages. Perhaps even since mass production started. Digital camera pixel count wars for instance.

They must have seen particularly bad ones then. Projection TV is one situation where the extra resolution of 1080p or 4k is *very* obvious. (to anyone with normal vision)

Low resolution pictures always look better when smaller.

That isn't normal. You should see things sharp in 3D vision. At least one of your eyes possibly both are not making a good in focus image.

3D TV is somewhat overrated. Mine will do it and it is amusing to see the ball trajectories in Wimbledon hawkeye in 3D for a while. But as the system on mine is active glasses you would get a blinding headache from the ambient light flicker if you watched it in normal daylight. OK at night but you quickly get bored with the obvious 3D tricks that have been the staple ever since the red and green glasses days.

A fairly small number of broadcasts are in HD 3D even on satellite.

You might want to check if the graphics card supports multiple displays too since that is an option that allows you a big screen and a little one using an old LCD monitor as a secondary. Even the humble Intel 4000 series built in graphics supports 2 displays with ease (3 sometimes).

It is an interesting question at a normal viewing distances what size a

1080 or 4k screen has to be to match normal visual acuity. Taking a conservative estimate of peoples sight then for an angular 1' arc resolution (0.0003 radian) in good light at 3m -> pixel size of ~0.9mm.

IOW your 1080p TV screen wants to be about 1m across the horizontal to match its native resolution to your eyes capability at 3m.

BBC Nature shows or National Geographic wildlife camera work do benefit from the higher resolution.

4k resolution is overkill for most things unless you are going to sit 1.5m from the screen or the screen is nearly 2m across. In a projector 4k would make good sense but they still remain expensive.

It is probably a bit too early to buy into 4k since the standards such as they are remain fluid and broadcasts are almost non-existent. It is highly likely that early adopters will get burnt (shades of early analogue HD TV in Japan which was coming onstream when I lived there).

What proportion of US content is actually in full 1080p HD these days? I can get free HD feeds for Al Jazeera!, NHK World, Russia Today and BBC/ITV/C4 but US news feeds are blurry 525 lines badly upsampled to

625p SD from NTSC (HD not available even encrypted on the feed I use).
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Here is a start to less consumerism,

It has an end game of not needing to spend 40 or 50 hrs, fifty weeks a year just to make money to buy things that we don't need, with advertisers try to tell us we do.

Here's one of the classics,

and the followers congregate here,

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 08:34:43 -0800 (PST), mkr5000 Gave us:

You have obviously never seen or owned a 4K display on a PC and seen the yuuuuge difference it makes.

They are brighter and the graphics are notably crisper, and DLing hi res shots from NASA or Hubble yields some very nice imagery.

1280 x whatever is so jaggy and lo res these days. Give me an 8MB jpeg or PNG file any day!

Get with the program, child!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 09:59:25 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Sure ya do.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 12:04:36 -0500, DJ Delorie Gave us:

My boss put in two 4K units at my suggestion and he said that the difference pays my salary for the year.

He started out at the 3840 x 2160 array size but quickly found out that the world has not yet caught up unless one pays.

A perfect example is the MICRSOFT OWNED Skype app.

On Windows 7 or even 8 the fonts are so tiny one cannot see the menus or texts or anything worth a shit, and folks were complaining, and we had to set one of the two monitors onto a lower res to use the app.

Microslut did fix it, but ONLY on a Windows 10 machine. How lame can it get?

My Linux / Windows i7 screamer desktop works fine with it's Nvidia card in it. I do not need multiple displays.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:30:50 +0000, Tom Gardner Gave us:

Ever since the Mars Voyager Probe years, eh?

I had the Laser Disc :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:30:50 +0000, Tom Gardner Gave us:

I had the $120 Laser Disc CAV set of 2001:ASO. It was six discs, single sided.

Amazing compared to VHS or Beta.

Now, the Blu Ray is pretty nice. But I never saw either at the theater.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 11:35:35 -0800 (PST), Phil Hobbs Gave us:

And yams... don't forget the yams.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 12:51:02 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

That's OK. Seems that Saudi Arabia will take care of our Iran problem for us. (we likely nudged them a bit, but you'll never see confirmation of that).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:14:39 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso" Gave us:

All fluffy soft toilet paper does is make it so the makers can spool less of it up on a roll and actually charge more for it.

Give me the 1000 ft per roll institutional variety any day. But I call that hi res tp.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 15:10:26 -0800, Robert Baer Gave us:

Computer display sizes do not even make the chart.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Tom & Jerry was more entertaining.

I thought that was Colonel Sanders and KFC.

Surely Popeye would be selling industrial quantities of raw tinned spinach.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I really was talking more about Movies, Television and conventional entertainment rather than PC resolutions. I still prefer Casablanca at 480 rather than HD with my 6' wide DLP projector. (NOT LCD).

More subdued -- a bit softer in focus.

But sci-fi and fantasy (which I rarely watch),I like in HD. And of course Sports.

Anyway, the point was, 4K is silly and it WILL get sillier. Most here seem to agree with me.

And according to Donald Trump, "Popeye is a national hero" -- and that comes from the king of vague.

Reply to
mkr5000

On a sunny day (Mon, 11 Jan 2016 07:44:07 -0800 (PST)) it happened mkr5000 wrote in :

One thing Idod no tsee mentioned is interlace. For LCD and OLED displayes we should have left tha tmany years agao, and go progressive at 60 fps or more. Interlace only made sense on CRTs and cannot be undone. The German stations transmit 720p 50Hz FTA: mediainfo from sat, my software says it is upto about 12000 kbps, DVBS-2

General ID : 3FB Complete name : q1 Format : MPEG-TS File size : 21.5 MiB Duration : 13s 560ms Overall bit rate : 13.3 Mbps

Video ID : 5101 (0x13ED) Menu ID : 10301 (0x283D) Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : High@L4.0 Format settings, CABAC : Yes Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames Duration : 13s 560ms Bit rate : 11.4 Mbps Width : 1 280 pixels Height : 720 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16/9 Frame rate : 50.000 fps Resolution : 24 bits Colorimetry : 4:2:0 Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.247 Stream size : 18.4 MiB (86%)

Audio #1 ID : 5102 (0x13EE) Menu ID : 10301 (0x283D) Format : MPEG Audio Format version : Version 1 Format profile : Layer 2 Duration : 13s 536ms Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 256 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Resolution : 16 bits Video delay : -1s 178ms Stream size : 423 KiB (2%) Language : German

Audio #2 ID : 5103 (0x13EF) Menu ID : 10301 (0x283D) Format : MPEG Audio Format version : Version 1 Format profile : Layer 2 Duration : 13s 536ms Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 256 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Resolution : 16 bits Video delay : -1s 178ms Stream size : 423 KiB (2%)

Audio #3 ID : 5106 (0x13F2) Menu ID : 10301 (0x283D) Format : AC-3 Format/Info : Audio Coding 3 Duration : 13s 440ms Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 448 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Channel positions : L R Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Video delay : -1s 96ms Stream size : 735 KiB (3%) Language : German

Text ID : 5104 (0x13F0) Menu ID : 10301 (0x283D) Format : Teletext Language : German

Menu ID : 5100 (0x13EC) Menu ID : 10301 (0x283D) Format : AVC / MPEG Audio / MPEG Audio / Teletext / AC-3 List : 5101 (0x13ED) (AVC) / 5102 (0x13EE) (MPEG Audio, deu) / 5103 (0x13EF) (MPEG Audio, mis) / 5104 (0x13F0) (Teletext, deu) / 5106 (0x13F2) (AC-3, deu) Language : / deu / mis / deu / deu

Or is that overkill for ye lurkers? :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It does, and most of my co-workers have the same Dell PC with two monitors. I don't like that, partly because of my vision. After cataract surgery, I am, by design, fixed-focussed at 12" in one eye and 20" in the other, which works well for reading and with the computer monitor that I'm using.

lunatic fringe electronics

The Popeye's that we know and love is NOT health food!

lunatic fringe electronics

Why is a 4K display brighter? I don't run my monitors at full brightness anyhow.

Engineering - PC boards, Spice, calculators - don't need 4K display resolution. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help either.

lunatic fringe electronics

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 09:06:45 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Sure it helps. One can almost fit an entire B size page on it, and at hi res. Zooms are nicer too! Near ZERO aliasing.

I am having trouble expecting you to understand. After all, you think NASA has been useless over the years.

You're lost.