High-performance visible-light lasers that fit on a fingertip

High-performance visible-light lasers that fit on a fingertip;

"Researchers at Columbia Engineering's Lipson Nanophotonics Group have created visible lasers of very pure colors from near-ultraviolet to near-infrared that fit on a fingertip. The colors of the lasers can be precisely tuned and extremely fast -- up to 267 petahertz per second,"

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There goes their credibility.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Are you sure it wasn't accelerating? ;-)

It's an error from ScienceDaily. The original article at

states: "In addition, we show fine-tuning speeds of up to 267 GHz µs⁻¹ ..."

Even then, 267 GHz would be 0.267 PHz. So two errors for the price of one!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Using multiplier prefixes in both numerator and denominator is a sin in my eyes, but it *does* translate to a tuning speed of 267 PHz/s, at least they got that right. Other than that, the article is pretty much empty of substance, as usual.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

0.000267 PHz. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You're right, of course. Where did I put that tera when I needed it?! But I agree about mixing multipliers.

Reply to
Jeff Layman