Message Queue for high performance system

We are planning to use around 100 message queues in a high performance system for IPC. And the messages used are of fewer bytes in sizes.

Would like to know if there any limitations or caveats in using Linux IPC message queues.

Appreciate your inputs.

Reply to
Raj

Old *nix systems required static allocation of message queues: number of queues, number of entries, etc.

Is this system using any networking? Unless you're using message priorities and out-of-band-signalling, sockets do the job well and tend to have better dymanic buffering/allocation.

I never did the benchmarking but several places I worked used shared memory & semaphores instead of message queues, claiming it was faster.

Reply to
Jeff Jonas