Herd instincts?

That does show up in a tendency to neglect stuff that I'm not being actively hassled about, but it also made me well aware that my superiors often didn't know enough about what they were talking about and were trying to impose inappropriate and sometime self- contradictory priorities.

My expertise in prioritising my time does represent more than a simple record of what other people told me they wanted and it does include the signficant insight that the predictive powers of everybody involved (including me) aren't all that wonderful. On one occasion I produced a project plan (for a fairly simple project) in parallel with one of my colleagues - neither of us knew that the other had been stuck with the job, so we didn't collaborate - and both of us came out with much the same total figure (some 1300 man hours) to within a few percent

Neither set of time estimates had that much to do with the length of time took to complete our part of the project.

You may think so, but since you don't ever seem to have done the kind of work I was doing, it isn't a particularly well-founded insight.

In this particular instance, the distinction between "fairly clear" and "perfectly clear" is purely a matter of style.

I was telling krw to go soak his head, but since I didn't have to be ostentatiously rude to get the point across I could afford to soften the wording.

You need to find a dictionary - even in Texas yoour local library should have one -and look up "metaphorical".

You may need to go further and get advice on interpreting idiomatic phrases, of which "teaching your grandmother to suck eggs" is an example.

Or you may just need to give up on the lame jokes that only a Texan oaf would bother making.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

In _your_ opinion, and with conclusions reached, by you, without
having access to data which your superiors were obviously loathe to
share with cannon fodder.

But, then, that's always been your problem.

That is, you believe yourself to be the ultimate authority on just
about everything but, when in the pinch, you've always knuckled
under and taken subservient roles because you never had the balls to
do it your way, regardless of the risk.

And now, in the autumn of your life, it's getting to be too late for
you to make the mark you would have liked to.
Reply to
John Fields

Sure, but I did have access to information which my superiors probably didn't have the time to absorb and certainly didn't have any inclination to acquire.

What would you know about it?

From your point of view, I probably do look like the ultimate authority on anything that isn't a 555. There are other perspectives. As far as knuckling under and taking subservient roles because I've never had the balls to do it my way, regardless of the risk, you haven't got a clue. The electron beam tester I proposed and worked on from 1989 to 1991 at Cambridge Instruments stretched the state of the art to some tune - it used a fast digital timing system (realised in Gigabit Logics GaAs backed up by 100k ECL) to take a number of stroboscopic samples (up to 1024) per timing cycle and a tolerably fast digital signal processing system, (mostly realised in 100k ECL) to up-date up to 1024 digital data points in parallel.

Even the incidental innovations - it introduced Cambridge Instrument's to surface mount components - frightened some of my colleagues.

Despite all the technical risks of the project, what finally wrecked it was the fact that the guy who'd written the daft specification -

10psec timing resolution - that had forced me to go for GaAs in the timing logic - chickened out when it came to selling the machine once we'd got the prototype working, and bailed out to set up a company in a rather different field, leaving us with insufficient real customers to justify the expenditure required to get the machine into production.

Perhaps.

But your opinion isn't exactly influential.

Pencil and paper?

No. The customer kept on changing the specification, as they always do if allowed to get away with it.

What you think you can see hasn't got much to do with reality. The laws of physics haven't changed in the last five years. Some of the components I've worked with have become as obsolete as the 555, but that's the kind of problem I've been dealing with since I started doing electronics back in 1967, and I've gotten pretty skilled at coping with it.

Dream on.

Thompson's kind of skill in analog integrated circuit design is certainly in demand over here - Kevin Aylward had a job offer in Nijmegen not too long ago to do that kind of work - but its not an area where I've had any experience.

John Larkin has his own business, which he promotes with some enthusiasm

No, but if they did want more work, they certainly wouldn't admit it; they'd be much more likely to spend time drawing attention to themselves in the hope that someone would come to them. It gives you a much better bargaining position, and is much easier on the ego.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

how many people did they study ? 3 or 4 ???

mark krawczuk

perhaps zero?

Reply to
MooseFET

I have a simple solution, don't hire anyone from a public university.

...Jim Thompson