help me out

I am 3rd year Electronics and Communication Engineering student. Is " DOT NET" required to me. What else language can i learn. I am also very much intrested in robotics.....is it fine to do a embedded system training now or it would be better to do it in 4th year. also if someone can pls send me a good project that i can make...i have to submit it at my college... one more query.......what is the scope of networking in future ....i mean CCNA,CCNP or CCIE or anything else

Thanks in advance

Reply to
amresharma

I am 3rd year Electronics and Communication Engineering student. Is " DOT NET" required to me. What else language can i learn. I am also very much intrested in robotics.....is it fine to do a embedded system training now or it would be better to do it in 4th year. also if someone can pls send me a good project that i can make...i have to submit it at my college... one more query.......what is the scope of networking in future ....i mean CCNA,CCNP or CCIE or anything else

Thanks in advance

Reply to
amresharma

I'd have a look at something like this

or you could go with winAVR for the atmel AVR series of micros

I'd start learning embedded now, in your own time, for fun, rather than waiting for your teacher to tell you to learn it.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

For embedded systems/robotics, you're probably better off learning C. But you should take some class that uses an object-oriented language (C++, C#, Java, even Smalltalk or LISP) at some point, as you'll inevitably find yourself doing PC programming at *some* point, and you'll be a much better programmer with any of the .Net languages (C#, VB.net, etc.) if you've been exposed to OO concepts at some point. I suppose the "optimal" route here might just be to learn C++...

Take all the classes you can -- you're much more likely to someday regret not taking particular courses than contemplating which ones were utter wastes of time.

You might check out a copy of MAKE magazine to get some good project ideas.

That I don't really know.

----Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

If you need it for your degree -- yes. If you are going to write embedded software or if you are going to design circuits -- no.

For embedded the most important thing to know is how to code assembly. Even if you never do it for money, having an understanding of what's underneath there makes all the difference in the world.

The biggest language to know is C. You should know something about C++, too, and you should understand object-oriented design even if all you ever code is assembly. Knowing what ADA and Java are all about will be useful, but you can get through an entire embedded career without ever writing a line of either one.

If your classes don't depend on it yet I'd go with my inclination. Assuming they do it right good training in embedded systems would be very valuable.

Networking will grow and grow, but I suspect that as it does you'll have more and more opportunities to buy modules (hardware, software or both) that will do the work for you. So understanding a bit of how they work is probably more important than being able to scratch designs out on tree bark if you get stranded on a desert island.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

1st you get the languages that make money. The you get the business language. Then you get the hot chicks :)

Then you dump everything (but the hot chicks) and let somebody make money for you. You just hang out at the pool and watch bikinis while your army of post school zombies do all the work for you.

Then you make a donation to your school to get better instructors.. Your school seems crappy if you asking questions like this on usenet..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC