Help identifying a component

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, at least for the time being in this country.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I never had any problem with using it on gear. I might just spray some into a styrofoam cup. These days I usually use CRC 2-26 which says plastic safe right on the can. It's lubricant also seems more substantial.

Types of oils will affect styrofoam, as I know, my deck is styrofoam. Stains will develop, example, suntan lotion.

Greg

Reply to
gregz
**RE: WD40

**IME, CRC 2-26 and WD40 are practically the same and quite indistinguishable when used as switch and pot cleaners.

After 10 years of using only CRC, I changed to using WD40 because it sells for less than half the price here in Australia.

FYI: The term "plastic safe" on the can is a marketing claim, not meant to be taken literally. From the Technical Data Sheet: " Plastic Safe. Allows one product to be used in all applications without risk of costly damage to most sensitive modern plastics." Note the word "most".

The REAL difference between WD40 and products like CRC 2-26 is that the former is sold direct to the public via corner stores and supermarkets while the latter is sold only through trade outlets.

This fact affects the nature and wording of published claims or warnings greatly.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

John, he is a failed entity. Please do not belittle yourself with his nonsense.

Reply to
John S

If you can't garner the significant from the chaff, your opinion is not worth much either.

Reply to
John S

Who said that? Significant information is where you find it. If you can't get around the superfluous and look for the pearls, then it is you who is deficient. Frankly, I would much more appreciate Phil's input to this group than yours. He has provided great information and education whereas, you, er... not so much.

Reply to
John S

Please use WD-40 to spray into a Styrofoam cup and report back here.

Reply to
John S

That's good information, Jamie.

Many thanks.

Reply to
John S

This is a great example of common names run amuck. "Mineral turpentine" is probably an attempt to identify paint solvent that can replace (expensive) distilled-out-of-trees turpentine oil (there's a solid goop that qualifies as 'turpetine' as well).

I'm dubious that any standards of purity or consistency batch-to-batch apply to "mineral turpentine".

There are standards for mixtures (API standards) for things like gasoline, kerosene, etc., and I tried to figure out what they meant about composition. They don't mean much, IMHO.

Reply to
whit3rd

No, they aren't going to. Consider what they are for. Petroleum is a highly complex mixture of hydrocarbons found in a pocket in the ground. Every deposit is a bit different and even though they can generally classify them in terms like, "heavy", "light", etc., they will always vary. The mixture is separated based on boiling point because this is a relatively inexpensive process. So to start with, distillation will never separate the components well but rather only produce mixtures based on boiling point.

Since there is variation in the starting product as well as variation in demand of the fractions obtained, the standards allow for variation in composition. So even if you started with the same crude at different times the fractions can have different compositions depending on what is in more demand.

--

Rick
Reply to

Okay. I just got back from the store with 2 cans of WD-40 and a bunch of Styrofoam cups in a sealed bag.

Let's start a new thread on this called Spray Lubricant Tests. Tell me in that thread how I should proceed with the WD-40 in a cup.

Thanks, JohnS

Reply to
John S

Sure, at least it's a great jump above your family tree.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

After resoldering all three contacts, the issue is no longer occurring. Thanks a lot for pointing out this easy solution.

Reply to
OBones

OBones wrote in news:540c10ec$0$2220$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr:

Bienvenu.

Thank you for the feedback. Since the banishment of lead in solder, defective joints has risen to the top of my list of things to check for every problem.

Often, finding the easy solution is the hard part of the task.

--
Bob Q.
PA is y I've altered my address.