Help identifying a component

** The "rickman" autistic / paranoic is simply not interested in discovering the truth of this matter, or any other.

He is ESPECIALLY not interested in finding out that he is 100% wrong - so he will never do any research or testing whatsoever that might result in his making that horrible discovery.

To cover his monstrous ignorance & protect his neurotic ego, he places an irrational amount of trust in "absent experts" - taking as a literal fact anything he reads or hears from anyone HE decides must be an authority.

Of course, he has no clue about this matter either.

One meets such fools as "rickman" every day in ordinary life, mostly you can politely ignore them until one of them starts causing trouble for you.

Then you are forced to fight them.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Without taking sides, that was **very** nicely stated. :-)

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

that can't be right, mineral turpentine dissolves expanded polystyrene.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

I bet he's quiet as a mouse. He'd never get away with it. Online the true personality comes out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

** It is not correct and you are right about mineral turps - it literally eats expanded polystyrene on contact as do many hydrocarbon solvents making it difficult to find a suitable glues and paints to use.

However, WD40 has no effect.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Whereas on the Internet you can launch into full, raving lunatic mode on the least provocation.

--

Rick
Reply to

He never posts unless he has some significant information to share. So, in that regard, you are correct that he is quiet. If you pay attention and keep your keyboard silent, you might just learn something.

Reply to
John S

Or, one can be like you and encourage provoking behavior.

Reply to
John S

Cursing people and calling them liars is "significant information"????

--

Rick
Reply to

Most likely the same I suspect, Honest!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I wouldn't let it bother you, that's only his opinion and it's good to vent out over whacking your neighbor with a tire iron.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

--
The question isn't whether or not you're one of the zillions who've
used WD-40, the question is whether you've used it on plastics and

Since you admittedly have no experience with using WD-40 on
plastics, then you're really not in any position to make judgments,
since any information you may have come across is hearsay,
regardless of where it comes from.

Of course a manufacturer's recommendations should be taken into
consideration, but not knowing under what conditions those
recommendations were generated **does** leave room for
experimentation.

For example, the WD-40 company's FAQ cautions against using WD-40 on
polycarbonate and clear polystyrene, but there's no mention of the
length of exposure or the temperature which will cause degradation
of the plastic to which it's applied, or the severity of the
degradation, which as far as anyone knows, may just be cosmetic.

The sure way to find out, of course, is to apply a little to a "test
area" and watch what happens.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

--
No doubt you meant: "Most likely the same I suspect: honest.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

--
Oops... forgot the comma :"Most likely the same, I suspect: honest.
Reply to

ah, turpentine is one of my favorite hack chemicals.. If you have some old screw driver handles or plastics you would like to solidify into a filler paste or goop, just put the plastic material in a jar that has turpentine in it, stuff a rag around the opening and go back a day or maybe less. You'll find it dissolved, mixed, and pliable with a simple thing like a tongue stick for those jobs where you need to repair or make some kind of filler to machine out..

As for WD40, it's my understanding they have reformulated over the years, it's not the original formula however, it still does what it was originally design to do and that is to keep moisture from metal. Later down the road of course, many other uses were found..

We use it to push tight fitting glans over cables. I can tell you that it does absorb a little into some forms or rubber type materials and makes them swell a little and sticky as it dries.

Thinking back to when this thread was started, I would say that some one spray it into a double tubed shaft with o-rings to keep the original lube in. The o-rings will swell and thus make it hard for these types of controls to operate afterwards.

Other than that, I've used it on switches and pots etc, and I've had less problems with old pots using WD40 over using a contact cleaner. Contact cleaner tends to make the surface of the metal a little pitty afterwards and makes less contact area. It invites dirt to be filled in to these voids and you'll notice after that, the pot will require more frequent spraying..

I've found that WD40 does not seem to be so harsh on the surface and keeps the residue behind which helps to prevent dirt from moving in, because there are fewer pits on the surface left behind from the otherwise use of contact cleaner.

Of course, I am just an backyard Yankee, born and raised in Maine, where every one is related. So pay no mind to me..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

And how does that bother me? No where I guess, you dried up prone.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

--
Oops... I forgot the closing quote.

Well, it bothered you enough that you had to reply with a little ad
hominem flamelet.

I'm confused though; did you really mean "prone" or did you mean
"crone" or "prune"?

Or maybe something entirely different?
Reply to
John Fields

People who have to resort to the sort of language Phil does are seldom "honest"... however they are often stupid.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yes, the manufacturer's information is "hearsay"...

Yes, that is what my friend did, he applied a little to a "test area", the shafts of the controls on some expensive lab equipment. Inconspicuous, no one sees the shafts inside the equipment. No worries about a little "cosmetic" damage.

--

Rick
Reply to

That is exactly right. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how ugly they express it.

--

Rick
Reply to