help, I need slots.

I am guessing that you want un-plated slots for insulation under components.

Can you move the components that need slots, so that pairs of components can each share a long slot?

Otherwise maybe you can get them to drill a hole at one end of each desired slot, and then use an abrafile to turn it from a hole into a slot.

If you don't have any abrafiles, I'm not sure whether they still make them but ebay might have some. I haven't tried them on FR4 though.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Brown and Sharpe screw machine from the 1960s- all cam operated.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany

Like others said change supplier. Try youpcb if it's 2-layer (1-2 weeks). You can get V-groove and slots.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

But the laser wouldn't require hard tooling. You could decide to cut a slot in a PC board, and have it a minute later.

It would be great if it would remove copper from FR4 too.

lunatic fringe electronics

At the place where we get sheet metal work done they have a laser to cut metal. It's a monster! Picture from thier website.

(The real place is a lot dirtier than the pictures would lead you to believe.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We've worked with three laser-cutter companies, delivering custom laser controllers to two of them. All three decided to make their controllers themselves, or get it somewhere cheaper, after we did a lot of work. It seems to be a brutally competitive business, and at least four companies have built big expensive factories to drive down their costs and kill the competition. They can't all be successful at that.

lunatic fringe electronics