Easiest way to do remote control via internet

Hi

Currently I have a webserver running on a NetDuino controlling a clients he ating in a sommer residence (so he can turn on the heat from home)

Its ok, but the limited memory of the Netduino means the website has limite d functionality and I would also like to add SMS/Texting functionality to a lert the client if an alarm has gone off (I have water, CO2, gas etc sensor s added to the unit)

So, I was thinking about using my Raspberry Pi with a link to Dropbox using the triggers available to send an SMS, but that cannot be customizes as fa r as I can see.

Another way, is to add a GSM module, but that takes a lot of coding on my p art.

A third way, could be to synchronize a folder using dropbox, and having a s erver monitoring at my home to check if a status file has changed with info rmation in the file of the alarm sending a SMS from there (then many client s to use the same server, with multiple files)

Any other way to add SMS/Texting functionality that is simple and could use the Raspberry Pi? (I always have an internet connection at the site of the client)

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

heating in a sommer residence (so he can turn on the heat from home)

ted functionality and I would also like to add SMS/Texting functionality to alert the client if an alarm has gone off (I have water, CO2, gas etc sens ors added to the unit)

ng the triggers available to send an SMS, but that cannot be customizes as far as I can see.

part.

server monitoring at my home to check if a status file has changed with in formation in the file of the alarm sending a SMS from there (then many clie nts to use the same server, with multiple files)

se the Raspberry Pi? (I always have an internet connection at the site of t he client)

Additionally, using the dropbox syncronized folder would mean I could add d atalogging, perhaps a USB camera for surveilance etc which would be impossi ble on the lower end NetDuino solution....

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

# send SMS to my cellphone if [ "$1" == "" ] then echo "Usage: sms-message number(start with +31, no zero) text_string" exit 1 fi

if [ "$2" == "" ] then echo "Usage: sms-message number(start with +31, no zero) text_string" exit 1 fi

# create email header and body for gin.nl DATE=/bin/date echo "From: Klaus K " > /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header echo "To: $ snipped-for-privacy@gin.nl" >> /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header echo "Subject: $2" >> /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header echo "Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:09:17 GMT" >> /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header echo "Mime-Version: 1.0" >> /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header echo "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit" >> /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header echo "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-15" >>

/usr/local/sbin/nokia-header echo "" >> /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header echo $2 >> /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header echo "" >> /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header

#cat /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header

#exit

/usr/sbin/sendmail -oc -t -oem -odb -oi < /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header

echo "Ready"

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

not all that much coding really.

I don't really see the point of dropbox.

Use one of the internet sms providers. Having paid, you send an HTTP post, they send an SMS.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

datalogging, perhaps a USB camera for surveilance etc which would be impossible on the lower end NetDuino solution....

or you could do that by email...

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I noticed the date line was expended (true date inserted) on posting, in the script it reads: echo "Date: $_D_A_T_E" >> /usr/local/sbin/nokia-header

remove the _ charaters.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

SMTP? Some discussion of Bansky SMTP if you have room for the code.

Martin Riddle

Most phones have an "email" address or webpage to send mail to a phone.

Or as simple as @vtext.com

I just used Verizon as an example, but other providers have an internet gateway.

Reply to
miso

Well, that's true, just some AT commands and parsing on received messages

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

heating in a sommer residence (so he can turn on the heat from home)

functionality and I would also like to add SMS/Texting functionality to alert the client if an alarm has gone off (I have water, CO2, gas etc sensors added to the unit)

the triggers available to send an SMS, but that cannot be customizes as far as I can see.

part.

server monitoring at my home to check if a status file has changed with information in the file of the alarm sending a SMS from there (then many clients to use the same server, with multiple files)

the Raspberry Pi? (I always have an internet connection at the site of the client)

datalogging, perhaps a USB camera for surveilance etc which would be impossible on the lower end NetDuino solution....

We have a cabin in the Sierras, and I built a system to monitor indoor and outdoor temps and control the heat remotely. There's a MiniITX computer in the boot closet, running XP, that shares a Dropbox folder with friends and family. A PowerBasic program does the acquisition and control, and I use Yawcam to post outdoor pics from a USB camera (on 75 feet of active and passive extenders!)

I can drop command files from anywhere, and even replace executables and reboot the computer remotely. It seems to be very reliable; Dropbox always gets through.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

[snip]

reboot

Very nice indeed, looks like that should be possible, just on the Raspberry Pi instead :-)

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

the

family. A

reboot

instead :-)

How would the Pi access a Dropbox folder?

Dropbox is great. It lets you do all sorts of nearly realtime data transport with minimal hassle.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

the

family. A

post

reboot

instead :-)

Dropbox is cross-platform, there is one for linux.

--

John Devereux
Reply to