Help for Sprint plus programmer

Data I//O are a bunch of hard-ons and AFAIK no one supports them on a third party basis.

Reply to
calcerise

So I have an old Sprint Plus EPROM and PLD programmer. To use the latest software I need an SMP module for it. As the programmer is not supported by its manufacturer, DATAIO, they cannot help me. Anyone can help me to get the module or can tell its contents so I can build one myself? No need to say that any help will be appreciated.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Where I work we also have a Sprint. It was not made by DATAIO. They may have been bought. Can you discribe what you need since SMP means nothing to me.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I've always thought DATAIOs were horribly over-priced, even though I work where there are deep pockets. I've had a couple of BP- Microsystems

programmers and have been very impressed. BPM nas very good support and their stuff is only moderately over-priced. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

"Ken Smith" schreef in bericht news:ctcggc$300$ snipped-for-privacy@blue.rahul.net...

The Sprint Plus programmer was ever manufactured by a German company SMS, which was bought by DATAIO. DATAIO says it was discontinued before they aquired SMS and gives no support at all.

SMP stands for something like "Software Maintenance Package". FAIK the module consists of a PAL and a small PCB with an EEPROM. There is an empty socket on the board that should hold it.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

In article , petrus bitbyter wrote: [...]

You may be done for.

Until this year, I would have suggested that you buy the BP Microsystems programmer to replace it. BP, however, no longer has a DOS version of their software so they are now suspect.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

The BP Microsystems programmers claim over 18k devices as well. They seem to be all parallel port devices though. I wonder how long that'll take to change?

--
  Keith
Reply to

What a pity. The Sprint was one of the finest programmers available. While I went through a stack of el cheapos, the Sprint of a colleague worked well for over a decade. The el cheapos somehow didn't like static electricity, while the Sprint had a solid metal case.

I was never able to afford one.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Well, yes, it was perhaps overpriced, but it worked. And there were software updates, such that it was always current. The el cheapos stopped working quite often and I had to repair them. Sometimes at customer sites. Lost an hour here another one there.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

The Sprint programmers were not cheap.

I have a Sprint Expert which became unsupported while the Sprint Optima (basically the same thing with a parallel port interface rather than dedicated ISA card) continued. Data I/O graciously offered to effectively sell me the programmer I already had again at a horrible price less 40%.

The Expert still works fine for parts that were around in 1999 when they stopped supporting it.

Does anyone know Data I/Os price for a basic Optima?

I recently purchased a Xeltek SP3000U which I am pretty impressed with. A bit cheap, cheerful, and Chinese but with a lot of bang for your buck.

It is an impressive modern design with USB interface, standalone mode with 'projects' held on Compact Flash. Truly universal pin drivers which are partly driven by Xilinx FPGAs (which I am sure are dynamically reconfigured to suit the part you are programming). Support for 18k devices and counting.

Reply to
nospam

Yeah, I don't like that either. The last one I bought was an 1148 (or some such model) and went for about $1200. Buying through one of their sales people was a PITA, since they weren't on our approved vendor list. We had to have it marked up once more. Dumb, dumb, dumb, but that's life in the fast lane.

--
   Keith
Reply to

"Franc Zabkar" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Mailed Matthieu already. Thanks.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

18k devices at what price? Like Data I/O they appear not to publish prices which I always take as "If you have to ask you can't afford it".
Reply to
nospam

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:11:02 GMT, "petrus bitbyter" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Have you been here?

The site shows you how to convert a C/96 SMP to C/99.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I ever used DATAIO. It was pretty good and very expensive. Nevertheless the boss payed.. for a short time. As soon as he could find a cheaper solution it was over. But the Sprint *I* (no boss involved) have now requires that SMP. I found out that the oldest version consists of a PAL16R4 only. So does anyone knows the contents of that PAL or can someone help me with another SMP? Maybe from a discarded programmer?

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter