HeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeLP

Greetings !! ... one major disadvantage of living 'way out in the boonies is that Hi-speed internet is but a far away dream so I have to rely on dial up. Generally I can connect at a blistering 24Kbps which at the best of time is pathetic. What I would like to know if anyone knows of a design (schematic) of a telephone line passive, active would be nice but I think complicatedly impossible, bandpass filter, 1Khz- 4kHz that would go between the phone line and my modem. I have a very good Dynex DX-M300 USB modem with a lot of, I suspect, neat noise filtering software but I think such a filter would take care of any 60 Hz noise, impulse noise or whatever. Of course any other magical solution would also be appreciated.

Thanks and take care ...Vic

Reply to
vic

Hello Vic,

Tried satellite? Ok, it used to be around $80/mo out here but DSL isn't much cheaper, about $50/mo in much of California.

Try a DSL filter. These cut off higher than 4kHz AFAIK but not a lot because the first DSL channel begins at 10kHz. They are used in deployment of DSL where people then filter out the DSL signals for each telephone. Should be well under $10 per filter.

You can't cut the low frequencies because the dial tones and the ringer tone would be cut off, meaning you couldn't dial out anymore and wouldn't receive calls. Also, when the modem engages it must be able to present a DC impedance in order for the line current to flow. Else the line would remain off.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Is 24k the best you ever do? You may have a pair-gain device in your line in which case you won't go faster no matter what you do.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Hello Ken,

I don't know how it's in NZ but in some rural areas of the US the phone wires can be, well, just for audio bandwidths. Almost like what the Cherokees and Sioux used to call the 'singing wire'.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It can be pretty crappy here too, not just out-of-town. However a consistent connection speed of 24k suggests pair-gain. Inconsistent speeds and drop-outs suggests crappy connections and/or cable faults in the line.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor