Has anyone ever been arrested for violating Ohms Law?

The currant situation is here:

As it happens, forestry has been "pining" for the removal of currants, because of this stuff.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

It isn't that kind of law, and the devices that deviate from it (such as transistors and diodes) aren't people, nor liable to arrest.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Resistance is futile, while Impedance can store energy and fight back later.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

I'm sure people with only 2 contacts have been arrested.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's only reactive impedance that can store energy. Resistive impedance can only dissipate it, but it can get too hot to touch in the process.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On a more serious note, Ohm's Law was found by observations of the physical world, and nearly any material will violate it if you take self- heating into account.

Some of the guys on the group here who do super-accurate circuits have said that even with the temperature held constant, there's still a small (tens of PPM?) deviation between perfection and reality.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Is 2k7 a violetter?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Resistors have voltage coefficients that can cause many-per-cent errors. Thick films can be several hundred PPM per volt, or even worse.

lunatic fringe electronics

Indeed. In IC design, its difficult to get very low voltage co-efficient resisters.

Polys are absolutely useless for low noise design. Diffusion resisters sit in a well, and look like a fet with large pinch off, but can have quite low

1/f.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

When I was at school, 'Ohm's Law' referred to 'constant temperature'. 'Ohm's Formula' might be a better description for what most of use actually use.

This one is pretty close to what I was taught...

"In metallic conductors at a constant temperature and in a zero magnetic field, the current flowing is proportional to the voltage across the ends of the conductor, and is inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor."

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

The minimum penalty for a violation is a burned finger.

amdx

Or those that took an unauthorized route around the Wien Bridge.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Discharged.

lunatic fringe electronics

Aren't metal films deposited onto ICs? Metal film on silicon can be a darned fine resistor.

lunatic fringe electronics

That's almost true

and is inversely proportional to the resistance

And that's just a definition.

lunatic fringe electronics

Ohm's "law" is just a definition.

Reply to
krw

There is some physics behind the proportionality, close enough that we use the "Law" all the time in the real world. Most engineers recognize the situations where the approximation isn't good enough.

Every time we design a voltage divider or an opamp circut we assume that I = E/R where R is a thing that we can buy.

lunatic fringe electronics

Digipots, and some DACs, are usually made with CrSi or somesuch alloy.

It's an extra step though.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

It defines "resistance".

Every time I design a voltage divider (PS feedback, for example), I take into account the Tc of the resistors. Kinda foolish not to, since it's a large part of the error.

Reply to
krw

CrSi are very good. Like 10ppm temp co. Very linear.

Sure, but CrSi resistors are only actually available on a few processes that are used for general purpose. Its a luxury that is not available to most ic designers.

Getting a good BiCMOS process is also difficult. Most try their best to target what are referred to as "cmos only", although most of these often have a half decent npn.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward