Harmonics in pole power transformers?

Some smart meters still have the disc mechanism. It's amazingly accurate and rugged and cheap.

lunatic fringe electronics

A float switch on a well pump? All I have ever seen use a mechanical pressure sensing switch that turns on when the pressure drops below the setpoint, and turns off when the maximum is reached. The one on my well was 22 years old, when the well failed. A second switch can be plumbed in, and used to control a transmitter. Determine how long it normally takes to restore full pressure, and use a timer to delay the signal. If you are terrified of touching the wiring, use a solar powered battery charger. I can't see why anyone would install an electric powered well pump without a service outlet, unless they are just too damned cheap. There is a housing over my tank, with a thermostat to run a heater if it

to troubleshoot the pump, or to turn it off if I will be away for an extended time. I had a nearly blind neighbor try to be helpful once. He mowed the grass while I was gone, and sheared off an outdoor faucet. That left the pump running for days, and ran up the electric bill. The upgrades will prevent that.

Michael A. Terrell

That's the problem, too much product variation in the field. For example, our smart meter does not have a flashing LED. I think we'll have to make do with 60Hz.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The setup very different between locations. We cannot rely on any of that.

You don't have to be blind for that. Our neighbors in Germany, after half an our of lawnmower din: "Peter, those were not weeds! They were my carnations!"

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I love those kinds of jobs where you have next to nothing to use as input and you have to make it work anyhow.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There are already provisions to detect a pump failure. The goal is to find out what failed. Pump damage means their own guys or a contractor has to drive out. Mains failure before the panel means they have to call the utility instead. Having the wrong crew arrive carries a large cost. The end customers don't want to pay more for a more distinct failure report than they have to.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The trick is to be able to install this without that truck roll. Because such a truck roll would increase the cost per install by several hundred Dollars, considering travel charges.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, like "Mixed Nuts" (Or Grizzly H.?) wrote the E-field will be very paltry. But we'll have to try.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No install possible. All we can do is supply a little unit with instructions "Stick this to the XYZ box in the upper left corner and wait until it beeps three times".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well, I was hoping the substation transformers were much better because there is not as much cost and size per kW pressure as with pole pigs. But maybe that isn't the case. We shall see, only experiments will tell, it seems.

That's what we'll do anyhow. But the fields from the power lines can change in many locations even without faults. Swaying vegetation, animals, precipitation, vehicle traffic and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That would work but utilities frown very much upon non-employees climbing up a pole and sticking something to a transformer. Especially these days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How will that detect a damaged pipe? Or a pump with a bad shear pin?

Michael A. Terrell

But some fraction of those things are impossible.

So, how much does a coundit vibrate from the electrostatic or piezo forces on the wires?

lunatic fringe electronics

One gathers that the customer is building the gizmos, not running the cattle.

Remember, fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No. It costs too much to hire electricians. The problem will have to fix itself.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Ha!

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

If you're the farmer or building owner, it's reasonable. On the other hand, if you're selling gizmos that will on average save several hundred dollars' worth of wasted time every few years, you can charge more for your gizmo.

Everybody wins. What's not to like?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No idea. We'll first try the 60Hz field sniffer. It might be a dud but we won't know without trying.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's already being detected. But we must differentiate between a pipe failure or whatever and a mains power failure. Because if they send the wrong crew out it's going to cost them an unnecessary few hundred Dollars every time. Like when the phone company service truck comes out and then they determine the fault was on your premises. Then they typically send you a bill. If it was before the demarc they don't but if you had called a private phone services and the utility side is down then they send you a bill without having fixed anything. Such scenarios to be avoided here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'd guess, VERY linear. The non-linearity is due to saturation of the core. Since the power company pays for all losses before the electric meter, I'd guess they are happy to pay for a little more copper and iron, so they don't have to pay for those losses over the next 50 years.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson