Generating Harmonics

Hi guys, is there any way of generating harmonics? Harmonics are generated by the non-linear loads such as the light dimmer. Besides light dimmer, are there any more circuitries that can be built that can produce harmonics at the output?

One more question is that, normally harmonics affect the main power supply. How should I analyze this distorted signal? Should I get the waveform from the main power supply?

Hope you guys can give me some opinions and guidances. Thanks.

Reply to
ooi_yw

What frequency range do you want harmonics for?. There is a several order difference of magnitude between power line harmonics and those in the MHz range, ad totally different ways of generating them.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

hei. lets say the fundamental frequency is around 50Hz.. so the harmonics should be 100Hz,150Hz, 200Hz.. and so on. BEsides that, i think a normal circuitry that can produce a distorted signal is good enough. Please advise. thanks

Reply to
ooi_yw

Sounds like you want -all- the harmonics.

Clipping gets you only the odd harmonics, so 50, 150, 250, etc.

A triangle wave is also only odd harmonics. Triangle wave is a symmetrical gradual rise and fall with sharp peaks.

For all the harmonics, you want a sawtooth wave. That's the one where the rise is gradual and the fall vertical or vice versa.

polymorph