OT: How to get Wi-Fi to work?

Have computer, (Dell) with two programs, one for set-up (antenna-like icon), and one for "interconnect"; do not have computer now to look at this stuff so description not so good. Anyway, i need a detailed description /road map for set-up.

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 22:25:20 -0800, Robert Baer Gave us:

This is a troll post, right?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

In case if it's not: He can setup one in host AP (access point) mode and the second one for regular WiFi client. If you have Internet on the first, IP masquerade on the AP interface.

Easiest way is to load Linux on the first and edit some scripts. Details are machine specific. I am currently running it on a Dell Laptop, but trying to switch over to an Intel Edison (2" x 1" x86 w/ 1G RAM, 4G FlASH, WiFi and USB Web-connect)

By the way, mine will be running in my van.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

ke

the second one for regular WiFi client. If you have Internet on the first , IP masquerade on the AP interface.

are machine specific. I am currently running it on a Dell Laptop, but try ing to switch over to an Intel Edison (2" x 1" x86 w/ 1G RAM, 4G FlASH, WiF i and USB Web-connect)

This is specific to the Intel Edison with mini breakout board; so, your mil eage might vary depends on what you have:

  1. For Wifi client, just enable "auto wlan0" in /etc/network/interfaces.
  2. For Wifi AP, enable the IP & subnet mask in /etc/network/interfaces and also the SSID, passphase, etc in /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf

#2 only make sense if you are using a USB network interface (wired, wireles s or cellular). But to do so, you need to power it via the two pins connec tor. Just ordered it on ebay, will try and report back in two weeks. I am too lazy to wire it up myself; so, just have to wait two weeks.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 23:57:24 -0800, Robert Baer Gave us:

Fuck you.

With google and all other manner of internet search function, you are still too lacking in common sense to figure out even the simplest shit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If i did not want and need to know,i would not have asked. If you do not know, then shut up.

Reply to
Robert Baer

the second one for regular WiFi client. If you have Internet on the first, IP masquerade on the AP interface.

  • Those options are not available. Methinks the Comcast modem is the AP. I need to get an accurate and complete description as what i tried. Basically, there are two programs on the Dell and it seems "setup" is done first via the "radio antenna" icon one and info is transferred to a flash drive to go to the (i think) the host instructions are to walk the drive back to finish the process. The puzzling thing is,the flash drive would have to plug into the Comcast modem, its computer logged in (http://10.0.0.1) and used as a console to the modem program - in an UNDEFINED manner. I see no way to _tell_ the modem to get info TO or FROM the flash drive (even indirectly). That at alone, makes the process very ?nasty? or ?interesting? depending on viewpoint.

Details are machine specific. I am currently running it on a Dell Laptop, but trying to switch over to an Intel Edison (2" x 1" x86 w/

1G RAM, 4G FlASH, WiFi and USB Web-connect)
  • Easy for YOU...me knowing ZIP about Linux, having no instal disk, not knowing how to install such a beast as a SECOND OS, how multi-boot would work (or even IF it would work), etc ad nausea makes that "option" totally impossible and unacceptable.
Reply to
Robert Baer

ike

nd

t,

Not sure how comcast does it's magic. But for most standard cable and dsl m odem, you can plug it in via USB or Ethernet DHCP for setup. The best way is to get a standard modem (most should work on comcast network) and follo w the instructions that come with the modem.

If your network security is important, don't use the WiFi AP from the modem . They are difficult to secure. Build a linux router with firewall (ipcha ins).

Reply to
leongdentalsf

modem, you can plug it in via USB or Ethernet DHCP for setup. The best way is to get a standard modem (most should work on comcast network) and follow the instructions that come with the modem.

  • Forgive my stupidity,but *WHAT* instructions? The only paperwork that came with the modem was the sales receipt. I fiddled around with its internal "directions" and prompts, and the best i could get was for it to recognize the Dell network ID (or whatever it is called).

They are difficult to secure. Build a linux router with firewall (ipchains).

  • Noted.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Does it have a MODEL NUMBER?

Michael A. Terrell

You can perhaps look at the instructions for a cable modem, from the web or a store.

If the modem has USB, just plug it in. If the OS (most linux distribution does) has modem_manager support, it will create an USB interface (check it with ifconfig) and you can open it with your web browser.

Otherwise, connect your PC to the local side of the ethernet, then open up the modem side of the interface.

The modem side is usually XXX.XXX.XXX.1 or .254 or as stated in the manual.

You can do the setup with a Linux Live CD, without installing it on the PC. We usually do that without messing with the customer's PC.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Did you call Comcast to have the modem activated on your account?

Connect your computer to it via ethernet cable, and see if you can access the web from it.

Usually you connect your wireless router to the modem and communicate with the wireless router to set up passwords, etc. Open a web browser and go to 192.168.xxx.yyy (xxx and yyy depend on the router manufacturer)

Enjoy!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Technicolor Model TC8305C GW: BBTC8305-C E5; Network Name / SSID HOME-1A6; CM MAC: C427 9637 21A1 (add 1 for E-MTA, add 2 foir WAN. Encryption: WPA WPA2-TKIP/AES; Network Key: BAIC 36AD FB32 1267; WPS Pin: 1468 5934.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Was done ages ago; see answer to next Q.
  • Been done again ages ago. All kosher.

the wireless router to set up passwords, etc. Open a web browser and go to

192.168.xxx.yyy (xxx and yyy depend on the router manufacturer)
  • Computer connects to (Comcast) modem via cable. I have seen a number of Comcast set-ups including "Business class" and none use a router. like i mentioned before, on the modem's computer,one uses http://10.0.0.1/ to get to and use the modem's menu and setups.
Reply to
Robert Baer

So, what happen when you open this from your web browser?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Ah, good. Now, do you have a separate WiFi router, or is the WiFi built into the cable modem?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

iptables, ipchains is so last-century.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

You have to wonder... The posters who are making an abortion out of this thread are trying to give advice? Also... The original poster could learn to help himself by avoiding indentations of his paragraphs. Use line spaces to start a new paragraph.

If you have a standalone Wi-Fi router, it has little or nothing to do with your Internet service provider. As long as it's a modern router that can handle the speed, it just passes the signals through to your computer and to Wi-Fi connected devices. It's like a power strip.

They do require their own network name and password, distinct from your ISP. But some modern routers allow you to put an ultraportable PC very near the device and press a button that automatically connects it to the router.

Robert Baer wrote in news:FzZRy.3$ snipped-for-privacy@fx36.iad:

Reply to
John Doe

edward.ming.lee gmail.com wrote in news:ab02f97a-c313-4aa1-8885-e0a519c1fb8d googlegroups.com:

Reply to
John Doe