Harmonics in pole power transformers?

That would require an electrician to come out and most would refuse this job because they, their employer or their union won't allow non-standard stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Do you know if the new smart meters also leak enough B-field to be detectable at close distance?

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The ones with a rotating disk sure do. Pure electronic ones might have a small power transformer, might not.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den mandag den 18. april 2016 kl. 22.28.58 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

don't many of the electronic ones have an IR interface so you can just ask it if it is on?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I don't understand the quesiton...

seems you just want to know if the supply voltage is there, or not there?

why all the stuff about harmonics?

makolber

electrical-testers/fluke-2ac-electrical-tester.html

?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yup, without contacting anything or breaching any enclosure.

The idea was to sense an E-field but in order to distinguish the transformer output E-field from older 60Hz fields rely on the harmonics that naturally occur because there will be some core saturation. Not sure if that difference is strong enough which is why I asked here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It doesn't let me download the manual but from the pictures it looks like you need to be closer than an inch.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm not sure what requires an electrician. But can't you stick some similar gizmo around the wires going to the pump and sense the E-field. (I guess if it's coax it's a lot harder.)

George H. (Who needs to call his electrician.)

Reply to
George Herold

Just for giggles: is there a meter on these drops? A smart meter, that takes

3W all the time, that has wireless reporting back to the utility? If you could read out the meter, it'd solve the problem instantly.
Reply to
whit3rd

ester.html#resources

can't find any mention of distance it is probably a liability thing.

don't the wires come out of the box so you can easily get close?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Joerg, (perhaps a stupid question.) But if there's no, or very little, current flowing why will there be much B-field? (and any saturation.)

I guess I was thinking about trying to shield the rest of the world from the measurement. (No loops, star ground, or 60 Hz magnetic fields may find a path in.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Den mandag den 18. april 2016 kl. 23.50.56 UTC+2 skrev legg:

if it is, say, a pump to keep a basement from flooding or some cows from going thirsty it makes perfect sense to get an electrician out to fix the power before it is needed

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Distribution transformers are very efficient, to save energy. I'd expect they don't run much into saturation.

The AC line sinewave around here is flat-topped, but probably from non-PFC electronic loads.

If I was a motor, I might not know which way to turn.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Many of the electronic ones also have a red LED which flashes briefly every time a certain amount of energy has been delivered. So long as there is a small load present all the time the flashing will indicate that power is available.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

I'd like to see THOSE statistics.

You're trying to see if a pump is functional, when it's not supposed to be running. Does this make sense to you?

You might check the product of the pump's operation, to get evidence of recent function: traces of pumped media present where it's supposed to be, not present where it ain't.

RL

RL

Reply to
legg

You should be able to differentiate the ambient field from near-field using two sensors, regardless of their content.

RL

Reply to
legg

John was hinting that a meter might radiate enough magnetic energy. But not sure if smart meters also would.

We probably need E-field here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Can't rely on that, we have to cover all situations. Many places will still have analog meters, some may not have meters at all and instead pay a flat rate. Or they are on a company/farm grid where there is no need for metering.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to