Hammers should be banned...

I missed him when I switched computers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Damned few, unfortunately.

Reply to
krw

That might be true for career criminals but it absolutely won't work for those commiting mass murders. There was no breaking a small law for majority of those guys; they were absolutely clean wrt the law, then they commited those horrible crimes that were their very first ones, and they made those their last ones by commiting suicide so there was nobody to stand trial.

For those all the police do is counting bodies and writing reports after everything's ended. One should have no brains to think it could've been predicted or somebody would help them before the performance is over. This is very fast action and perps usually run out of ammo before police has a chance to get there. And even if they didn't and police arrived BEFORE the game is over they still have enough time to complete their rampage and kill theirselves when police performs their routine protocol taking positions etc.

Yep, absolutely right. But there is something bigger behind it. First of all that last shooting was extremely suspicious -- do somebody still remember that _ALL_ channels were telling an "assault type rifle" has been found in a car parked on the school lot when they were in a rush and broadcasted everything live, without any censorship? Do those crying for action understand that "assault rifle" is almost the worst type of firearm to use in a classroom? Do they have any idea how much "thousands of rounds" for such a weapon weight and whether an average person would be able to walk even a hundred yards carrying those on him? Call me paranoid but that looks orchestrated to me; done in a cold blood to get a pretext for confiscation of the only arms in civilian posession somehow suitable for combat. Nobody cries wolf about handguns that were used for gun-related crimes more than all other weapons combined. Explanation is very simple...

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushyn

The only thing that will work against crazies is self defense. Pack your own heat.

"The only thing that will stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun." Wishes won't do it, as the principal of Sandy Hook teaches us.

The cop at Columbine at least kept the perps busy and wasted their ammo. Again, a good guy with a gun...

Again, lefties have no interest in understanding. Don't even try to educate them. They're impervious to facts.

Too much conspiracy theory. After the election, all they had to do is wait. A crazy was bound to pop up somewhere. Interesting that he popped up in a place with some of the tightest gun controls. Again, lefties don't care about facts.

Reply to
krw

       ...Jim Thompson

ere

ast

ban

That means banning teenagers. :-) As much as their parents sometimes want to, that's hard to do.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

You, no doubt, think that just so terribly 'clever', don't you? And I'll bet you also know it's cow patty demagoguery.

According to FBI 2011 stats there were 323 murders by rifle but there were more than twice that, at 728, murdered by "hands, fists, and feet" so I suppose, by your terrible 'cleverness', we should write "Mother birthed killer with hands and feet."

But even more, at 1,694, were murdered by "Knives or cutting instruments" so, again using your terrible 'cleverness', I suppose you'd write an article akin to "Murderer learned about knives at mother's dinner table."

The hammers and other bunt objects came in at 496 but let's blame that on daddy's workshop since mother is taking quite a hit here.

The fact is thousands defend themselves with firearms, either directly, simply brandishing, or because a potential assailant knew they possessed, and one could also wonder how many murders might have been prevented had the victim been armed.

Another fact is the police, assuming the rare case in which they could get there in time, are under no legal obligation to 'protect' you or anyone else.

So, despite your terrible 'cleverness', the fact remains that self defense is not only "a useful purpose" it is a fundamental right without which there are no others.

Being a 'well armed threat' to tyranny, both foreign and domestic, is also "a useful purpose" and one the founding fathers knew very well.

Reply to
flipper

Yes. It's being said that their only function is killing, but that's simply not true--we most certainly do not allow guns to be made for murder, or sold for that purpose either. That's rare, it's illegal, and severely punished.

Firearms are for defense, for sport, and for food.

That is, of course, the founder's ultimate purpose--to protect freedom itself, nothing less. It makes for a more stable government.

The protection isn't needed very often, maybe not even in a lifetime, but by far the most murderous malefactors--the greatest historical threats to citizens--have been their own governments gone wrong.

Even our friends in Europe have experienced this recently, and not just once, but several instances in living memory. That's much less likely in a nation with arms.

If the Battle of Britain had turned out differently, our good friends there might've needed individual firearms very very badly.

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Even harder with the next generation.

Reply to
krw

Just lock them all in the mall. With no phones, credit cards or cash. Check on them a week later. They would be like the foul mouthed parrot that wouldn't shut up! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

last

If you do it right, they will never be a problem again. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Males don't stop being smart-ass until about age 25. Then they suddenly discover that Dad isn't dumb ;-) ...Jim Thompson

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

- attributed by Reader's Digest, Sept. 1937.

This quote has been attributed to Mark Twain, but until the attribution can be verified, the quote should not be regarded as authentic.

Reply to
hamilton

last

I guess that depends on what you define as the "problem". ;-)

Reply to
krw

I walked into a public restroom behind one, earlier this week, who wore his pants down below his butt. The problem was that the little bastard was going commando. He was hanging it out for everyone to see. Amazing.

Reply to
krw

With my son, that transformation was so fast it was an amazing thing to watch. Even my wife got a kick out of it.

Reply to
krw

From the above posted URL article's link to 2011 FBI stats.

Reply to
flipper

The statistics on Schuler's mental incapacity are already well-documented. ...Jim Thompson

And you were fresh out of angry red ants?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

our

Charles seems perfectly competent to me. He missed a link, asked for backup, and flipper gave it. Problem solved.

IMO, arguing about which implements are used in how many instances totally loses the point--it's a basic human RIGHT. The right of self- defense.

As an example, I haven't looked[1], but it's almost certain that promiscuous gay sex kills far, far more people every year through AIDs, hepatitis, etc. Yet, are any of these people arguing we need to register gay people, saying "We don't want to interfere with their rights, no, of course not, we just want them to register, and take a training course. Why, think of the cost to the public health service"? Is anyone calling for a national HIV registry, one that newspapers can publish with Google maps online?

Of course not. What free people do is none of our business, none of the govt's business, as long as it's voluntary, and doesn't infringe someone else's rights.

[1] Okay, I looked. Roughly 48,000 new HIV infections in 2009[2]. Men having sex with men (MSM) comprise 2% of the US population, but accounted for 61% of new infections in 2009. MSM, accordingly, are being infected at a rate 30x higher than their prevalence in the population.

[2] 1 Prejean J, Song R, Hernandez A, Ziebell R, Green T, et al. (2011) Estimated HIV Incidence in the United States, 2006-2009. PLoS ONE 6(8): e17502. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0017502

So, we're focused on one right, but not talking about a clear, present, and far bigger danger to more people. Why? Freedom. Freedom of those individuals, freedom that's sacred, and ought not be questioned.

And, people have the right of self-defense. Further, an armed populace serves a vital interest to the stability of our system of government, which is why the founders insisted on it. That's what matters. Of course there's a price, just like alcohol, tobacco, certain lifestyle choices, and teen-age driving. There are also huge benefits. We call it freedom.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat
[snip]