433 mhz license free

Can something like this --

be used in a product without FCC certification? (Sending to an FCC lab etc).

I know the xmtr is only 10mw.

If I remember don't garage door openers and the like operate at 433 mhz?

thank you.

Reply to
mkr5000

c).

Some of the ISM bands can be used license free, that is with any approval. The transmitted power must be low. AFAIR the FCC part 15 discussed this in details, assuming you are operating in the US. Some devices/bands can be us ed without license (radio CB), but then your own device must be immune to h eavy incoming noise at times

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

You must read the FCC part 15 rules and regulations and decide for yourself if you will comply.

Look at part 15.

Much depends on what you want to do. Mostly, the 10mW devices on the market are aimed at Europe. The U.S. has no license-free operation on that band except for random momentary emissions. That band is also used at some military bases in the U.S. for other purposes, including radar (hence, the turmoil over garage door openers going haywire in some places).

Search ARRL.org for more information.

By the way, I assume that by "FCC certification" you mean licensing. If I am wrong about my assumption, please disregard this message.

Reply to
John S

c).

It depends on the product and who uses it. For instance, if it is for laboratory equipment you may get away with it. If it is for consumer product sold in large amounts, then you would likely have to do a part

15 (which can be the hardest because it is to allow any unlicensed consumer the right to transmit -so that is hardest cert for manufacturer.)

Products intended for licensed users tend to be easier to authorize on the manufacturer side.

Some products (ie equipments that may radiate but not intended to transmit , or laboratory equip) can be "self certified" .

brent

etc).

?

).

There are two aspects to FCC compliance.

1 is the right to manufacture a transmitting device. This is the authorization or certification side. (possibly other names too). 2 is the right to operate a transmitting device. This is the license side.
Reply to
brent

Don't confuse licensing with compliance.

Your ENTIRE product must be tested/certified to comply with radiation and conducted interference specifications in the jurisdiction where sold. If you are in compliance, you get to "legally" put stickers on it that buyers require.

It's more about NOT radiating than radiating.

The TRANSMITTER is on top of that. Radiation on the intended frequency is only part of the problem. It must NOT exceed radiation limits on other frequencies.

Unlicensed merely frees the buyers from having to file paperwork for each installation of the device or site.

If you're selling a component, as it appears the ebay link is... It's to their advantage to have test results showing compliance, but that does not relieve the system integrator of testing the system for compliance.

Regulatory compliance is an expensive maze of regulations.

It's routinely disregarded for hobby stuff...until somebody calls the FCC and says their TV is picking up interference. But that does not make it "legal"...just too expensive to enforce.

If you intend to ship an end-user device without compliance stickers, prepare to have it stuck in customs forever. They don't know or care whether it actually complies. They want to see the stickers.

And there's a plethora of safety compliance issues in addition to the EMC stuff.

Are we having fun yet?

Reply to
mike

Huh? "Part 15" is the section of the federal regulations (CFR 47 part

15) that regulates *all* unlicensed emissions, intentional *and* unintentional. You have to "do a part 15" for *all* emitters, whether they're intended for licensed use or not (there will be emissions outside the licensed frequency).

Nonsense.

You can always self certify (certification labs have no special magic). If you're wrong you could be in deep water, though.

Reply to
krw

.

etc).

z?

As a specific example, I have successfully has three part 87 products authorized by the FCC. These products are for aviation and in this case it is substantially easier than a part 15 becasue the testing which is required is easily accomplished with a equipment found in a decent rf lab.

In the case of part 87, the big key (beyond the fairly straightforward data package) is to get the coordination letter from the FAA which tells the FCC that they like your equipment.

I suspect there are many other FCC parts similar to part 87. Aircraft radio equipment is technically operated by licensed operators. So that is why I say that it is easier. My impression is that part 15 stuff is generally the hardest stuff to get authorized (certified). Anyhow, its been a while since I did this and I mostly studied what I needed to do to get the part 87 authorization.

BTW there is tons of information available on the FCC website here:

As an example - take your car remote thingy.

Mine has an FCC ID of KOBLEAR1XT

go to :

The grantee code is the first 3 letters (KOB) - the rest is the product code (LEAR1XT).

Type this in and you can see the data package submitted to the FCC (except proprietary schematics ) by looking at the details.

In the case of a remote car entry you will see it is 315 MHz (which happens to have the 5th harmonic fall right on the GPS band - bwahahaha).

Reply to
brent

etc).

"Authorized by the FCC?" Where is that in the regs.

Then you didn't do all the work that was required. You *STILL* need to comply with *all* of the relevant part-15 compliance issues. Intentional radiators still radiate unintentionally.

Goalpost move noted.

Reply to
krw

test

Reply to
mkr5000

c).

Did that "test" because I still don't get this new format -- now I do.

Ok -- let me simplify this.

At what frequency can I have a xmtr/rcvr pair or a transceiver module opera te with simple logic (on/off or a short serial stream of data)at LOW power need maybe a 50 ft range at most -- put it in a product -- and not worry ab out the FCC, period? (Assuming it's not a sloppy design and transmits as in tended -- with my own tests).

USA only. (915 mhz?) This whole thing always confuses me.

Do one of these bands allow that? need at least UHF for antenna size.

THANK YOU.

Reply to
mkr5000

with simple logic (on/off or a short serial stream of data)at LOW power need maybe a 50 ft range at most -- put it in a product -- and not worry about the FCC, period? (Assuming it's not a sloppy design and transmits as intended -- with my own tests).

NONE !!

Do not confuse hobby grade radiators with a product.

You HAVE to tell the FCC that your product will have a Xmitter in it.

Now if you buy an already approved Xmitter/Recvr that has FCC testing behind it, thats ok.

But you are not going to side-step the FCC just because "its just a low power Xmitter".

If you selling it to the public, then it need FCC testing and reporting.

OK ?

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

c).

I should have read these posts more thoroughly -- from everything you all s ay, ain't no way -- ANYTHING that emits RF (any frequency) needs to get FCC certification if it's a consumer product. Seems crazy if your just looking for 50 feet of distance and it's simple data -- RF would interfere more wi th analog stuff anyway right? Does analog still exist? (kidding).

Honestly, all I want to do is eliminate a single pair of wire for a random on/off and THAT'S it (much like a garage door opener etc).

I suppose the only way out is too seek a pre--certified module from a manuf acturer? But I need CHEAP.

Reply to
mkr5000

f...

lab etc).

mhz?

for

er

rt

Seriously?

here is direct text from the regs:

1-sec15-101.xml

Here is a page on the fcc website which discusses equipment authorization

Goal post not moved... context is whether a part 15 authorization is more difficult than other authorizations... I believe as a general rule it is.

Reply to
brent

24

etc).

z?

perate with simple logic (on/off or a short serial stream of data)at LOW po wer need maybe a 50 ft range at most -- put it in a product -- and not worr y about the FCC, period? (Assuming it's not a sloppy design and transmits a s intended -- with my own tests).

Thanks Hamilton -- I'm stubborn, I guess. Wishful thinking.

Reply to
mkr5000

ab etc).

mhz?

.

operate with simple logic (on/off or a short serial stream of data)at LOW power need maybe a 50 ft range at most -- put it in a product -- and not wo rry about the FCC, period? (Assuming it's not a sloppy design and transmits as intended -- with my own tests).

ze.

.

Try reading through this:

s/oet63/oet63rev.pdf

You have not really said whether your project is hobby, for general public, lab or industrial use.

Reply to
brent

for general public but don't anticipate high volume sales as all.

so -- final question --

Can I "self certify"? That is an excellent resource you linked me to -- THANKS

Reply to
mkr5000

by the way -- seems extremely crazy when for example with this part --

it's just a module and an antenna ! what exactly are you going to "tweak" to get in FCC compliance?

Reply to
mkr5000

If your application, for example, mounts the module above a large ground plane, you can possibly end up exceeding the FCC part 15 specifications. If you have to alter the antenna placement or type for example, you can exceed specifications.

Steve

Reply to
osr

This pretty much covers the process:

Its easily possible to design a simple antenna installation that exceeds FCC specifications for effective radiated power.

Many part 15 antennas have to be designed to be intentionally lossy, or a have attenuator added between the module and the antenna.

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts