H2O2 in quarts or gallons

I'm going to start etching some prototype boards using the laser-toner method of resist (it honest to gesundheit works) and the muriatic acid - hydrogen peroxide etchant.

Pints from the drug store are possible, but I'd really like to buy in slightly larger quantities. What sort of store would handle 3% peroxide in either quarts or gallons?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Why not buy a stronger solution and dilute as required ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Jim,

No idea. I'd ask Linde or a large chemicals supplier. If they can't supply it they'd sure know where you could go.

Be careful. That muriatic acid is really nasty. Never ever let it get close to chlorine or other stuff. A friend accidentally had a little spill on the garage floor. He said it began eating a hole into the concrete.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Because in this country generally the only strength you can get without going to a chemical supply house is a 3% solution.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I've heard of wood bleach (stain aisle) and Pool Shock (30% H2O2, not the calcium hypochlorite or TCCA) being found in places.

At least something like hair bleach (6 to 12%, IIRC) would be better than

3%. At 3% H2O2, you might as well bubble air through the solution.

Tim

in

Reply to
Tim Williams

I just got rid of an old gallon of 20% peroxide bottled for use in a hair salon. I would look at suppliers for those folks.

Reply to
John Popelish

There are safety issues with stronger solutions of hydrogen peroxide. The Russians used high test peroxide as the fuel in their torpedos until they lost a submarine recently. The English lost their submarine around 1947.

IIRR copper ions catalyse the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide, which might be relevant when etching copper from printed circuit boards ...

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Here's a hint: peroxide is dirt cheap, even in the pint bottles. What's more, it decomposes somewhat quickly just sitting on the shelf, depending on light and heat in the environment. The amount you need for muratic etching is not too much, and you may find that keeping large quantities on hand means it goes bad before you use it all.

Reply to
cbm5

That's high concentration (>>50%) and with no stabilisers.

35% is commonly sold, and is not especially hazerdous.

I'd suggest starting with a yellow pages, and go down the chemical suppliers reciting the mantra "I'd like to place a private order for a drum of H2O2", and seeing what happens.

50% is not typically available in volumes smaller than railroad cars.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Jim,

WALMART (in the USA) sells 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in 1-quart plastic bottles.

And some larger drugstores/pharmacies in the USA have it in sizes >

pint.

Regards,

- Tom Gootee

tomg

Google finds a number of suppliers including 35% by mail order in containers from pints to gallons.

keivn

Reply to
Kevin White