Grounding

Hello Jim,

They probably will. When they hit the guard rail the next time around.

Unfortunately this company didn't have a successor for their technology. It's all collecting dust now. After collecting dust for much more than a decade the value of the patents usually becomes so miniscule that the chances of revival are slim.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello John,

And don't use a point of contact for protective earth that also serves a structural function. It's against code in most situations.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello John,

Do you sometimes run laser diodes sans photo-diode feedback? That sounds like a white knuckle ride.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Jim,

$file/PPC970MP_DS_V1.pdf

Opens just fine in old Acrobat 5.0 (ignoring the usual warning boxes, of course).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello John,

My father is a mining/metallurgy engineer by training and he said one of his professors told them "Don't spec in any bolts under 16mm. Else them fellas in the steel plants would torque them off".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Not likely. This was around thirty years ago, and they're still in business.

But the reaction is commonplace, using IP isn't supposed to cost anything, and there's general resentment for having to pay premium prices for a design.

Many companies would rather hire two dumb-asses for the same money as one person who actually knows something.

[snip]

...Jim Thompson

$file/PPC970MP_DS_V1.pdf

Just sent, but it's big (3.6MB, it's the electrical spec).

Distiller didn't work for me (encrypted PDF or some such), but I was able to print it to a PS and view it with GSView.

--
  Keith
Reply to

In message , dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Joerg writes

Quite right, too. One of the mechanics problems I remember from college was fixing a loaded beam to a wall. The calculated answer was that you could use two (pre-metric) 3/16" bolts. ('Tear out' was outside the scope of the problem.) The 'right' answer was to use four 1/2" bolts, because that 'would look right'.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

"Joerg" a écrit dans le message de news:mIoCg.3210$% snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...

monitor

evil

Yep. I used to tell the layout guys that a solig ground plane is the foundation of good software.

Now, those damned PCs must have pretty punched ground planes. It's sure not M$'s fault.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Same here on 5.05. Of course, checking the "Do not show this message again" box has no effect. I was looking at reasons for upgrading to later versions of acrobat. Couldn't find any. Bloated, slow, more DRM, javascript, requires XP, etc. Stuff I simply don't want or need in a pdf viewer. Does anyone have a good reason for using anything higher than 5.05?

Just in case anyone is thinking of downgrading, you can get previous versions here:

It's where I got 5.05, so the files are good. Here's the list:

Acrobat Reader 2 (1.4 MB) Acrobat Reader 3 (3.9 MB) Acrobat Reader 4 (5.2 MB) Acrobat Reader 4.05 (5.5 MB) Acrobat Reader 5.0 (8.4 MB) Acrobat Reader 5.0.5 (8.6 MB) Acrobat Reader 5.1 (13.0 MB) Acrobat Reader 6.0 (15.9 MB) Acrobat Reader 6.01 (16.3 MB)

See the bloat going from 5.05 to 6.01? Almost doubled the size. How can programmers be this bad on a minor upgrade?

Regards,

Mike Monett

Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:

SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler:

Mike Monett

$file/PPC970MP_DS_V1.pdf

Same here. Forgot I have all the GhostScript stuff. It opened the PS file just fine.

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Wed, 9 Aug

2006, Mike Monett writes

It isn't a minor upgrade. 6.0 has umpteen features that you won't ever need. And some of them even work, if you can find out how to use them.(;-)

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

I have both Acrobat v4 and v5 on my machine.

I use the v4 exclusively to create PDF's because it's significantly faster loading than v5... and virtually everyone can read them.

But I'm more and more running into problems opening PDF's on the web.

How do I set Firefox to use v5, but have my machine otherwise default to v4?

Or is that even possible?

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Same here. I wish mfgs would migrate away from pdf and use html. Much better and faster.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I suspect you'd have the same problem Jim is running into with PDFs -- most companies would always want to use the "latest and greatest" versions of HTML, so you'd find that the page renders correctly, e.g., only on Internet Explorer version 6.0 and not on FireFox or other versions of IE. At least Acrobat -- as far as I'm aware -- hasn't broken backwards compatibility.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

In message , dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Jim Thompson writes

You need v7 now. To be specific v7.0.8. Some earlier versions of 7.0 were buggy.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Hello Joel,

Yeah, it's a matter of discipline and that often seems not to be there in the web design departments.

I had numerous experiences where the opening of old docs was greeted by a gray box "Acrobat has created errors and...", followed by endless hard disk grinding and a PC that wouldn't be able to do a thing for minutes. That did not leave a good impression.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

In message , dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Joel Kolstad writes

I use to get messages 'Acrobat 7 required' until I acquired it.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

How fast does v7.0.8 load?

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Jim Thompson writes

Not very fast if you've just switched the computer on, but once you've run it, it re-loads very quickly.